This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5712 / 53°34'16"N
Longitude: -2.1905 / 2°11'25"W
OS Eastings: 387483
OS Northings: 408299
OS Grid: SD874082
Mapcode National: GBR FW44.KK
Mapcode Global: WHB93.BH5M
Entry Name: Hopwood Hall
Listing Date: 15 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213464
Location: Rochdale, M24
Electoral Ward/Division: Hopwood Hall
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 80 NE; 2/24
ROCHDALE ROAD (north-west side),
House, now part of training college. Largely of the C17 and
C18 but incorporating parts of an early C16 open-hall
timber-framed structure and various C19 and C20 additions
and alterations. Brick with stone dressings and graduated
stone slate roof. Quadrangular 2-storey plan with later
additions to west including a C20 extension which is not of
special interest. A symmetrical gatehouse (of 1690 but
rebuilt in C20) gives access to the courtyard through double
studded-oak gates. It has a projecting plinth, stone quoins,
a segmental archway, and a flat roof replacing the original
pitched roof. Two 6-light double-chamfered stone mullion and
transom windows on each floor and a C19 oriel window in bay
2 with coat of arms and castellated parapet. The windows,
which have leaded lights and hoodmould (with coiled stops on
the ground floor), have on the whole been replaced or re-cut.
The C19 2-bay addition to right repeats similar details. The
left return consists of a library of c.1755 with C19
2-storey bay window and a dining room of c.1840 with large
mullion and transom windows. The rear (south) elevation has
four bays and various later additions which step up the hill to
left. The screens-passage door with stone surround remains
in its original position adjacent to a 2-storey late C16
canted bay window with 9-light mullion and transom windows
on each floor. The canted bay windows in bays 3 and 4 are
C19 but contribute greatly to the house's distinctive
character. Bay 1 has mullioned windows on each floor; the
later additions have casements. The numerous circular
chimney shafts are largely C19 or C20.
INTERIOR: the C16
roof trusses including the spere truss over the original
hall are all intact. They have king posts and cusped
braces. The floor which was inserted in the late C16 is also
complete with its heavily moulded beams. The extent to
which the timber frame still exists has not been fully
explored. Substantial quantity of carved oak includes doors,
door surrounds, fire surrounds, panelling etc. Its age and
origins are varied but much dates from the early C17.
Tudor-arched fire surround in stone dated 1658 bearing
initials FG and a coat of arms. Other features including
much C19 work are of interest.
The house is particularly
noteworthy as an example of a quadrangular plan which
developed around a timber-framed open hall.
Listing NGR: SD8748308299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings