This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3212 / 51°19'16"N
Longitude: 0.8981 / 0°53'52"E
OS Eastings: 602031
OS Northings: 161993
OS Grid: TR020619
Mapcode National: GBR SW3.5VY
Mapcode Global: VHKJW.J241
Entry Name: Standard House
Listing Date: 3 August 1972
Last Amended: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176012
Location: Faversham, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Faversham
Built-Up Area: Faversham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
In the entry for:
TR 0261 8/285 Standard House
The entry shall be amended to read:
House. Circa 1840-50, possibly about 1843 when the creek was improved. Rendered
brick. Plain tile roof with gabled ends. Rendered brick gable-end stacks. Plan:
L-shaped on plan, the main front range with 2 principal rooms heated from gable
end stacks, a central entrance and a service room in a 2-storey outshut behind
the left-hand room with a stack on its left side. The house is raised up on a base-
ment, presumably as a precaution against flooding at high tides. Exterior: 2
storeys, attic and basement. Symmetrical 3-window front, the centre first floor
window is narrower. The windows were boarded over at the time of the inspection
(August 1988) but if the original windows survive they would be sashes with glazing
bars as shown on a photograph of 1975. Central doorway with original wooden door-
case with deeply reeded pilasters, the mouldings continuing in the brackets
supporting a flat canopy with a modillion cornice and the original 6-panel door.
Two C20 flat-roof dormers at the front. The right hand end of the rear elevation
projects under a catslide roof and has sash windows with glazing bars. Interior:
not inspected but is expected to retain some C19 features. Note: The house might
have been the home of Samuel Matthew Goldfinch, Mayor of Faversham in the Late C19
and whose shipyard was nearby. His sailing barges were said to be of outstanding
quality and at least one made trans-Atlantic voyages.
Source: Information provided by the Faversham Society.
[At end of Standard Quay
comprising premises of
Faversham Fencing Co Ltd]
TR 0261 8/285
C18. 2 storeys and attic; basement. 3 window bays. Tiled gabled roof
with flanking chimneys; 2 flat-roofed dormers. Rendered front. Windows
in reveals; glazing bars intact. Central doorway up flight of 7 steps.
6 flush panelled door in flush panelled reveals; fluted pilasters,
frieze and flat hood on shaped brackets over.
Listing NGR: TR0203161993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings