History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Central Block of Convent of Notre Dame Including Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Liverpool

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4035 / 53°24'12"N

Longitude: -2.9713 / 2°58'16"W

OS Eastings: 335518

OS Northings: 390071

OS Grid: SJ355900

Mapcode National: GBR 77P.7X

Mapcode Global: WH877.BQB5

Entry Name: Central Block of Convent of Notre Dame Including Chapel

Listing Date: 13 November 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 359131

Location: Liverpool, L3

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: St Luke in the City Team

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Liverpool

Listing Text

SJ 3590 SE MOUNT PLEASANT
(south side)
L3

55/790 No. 92 (Central
block of Convent
of Notre Dame
including
13.11.80 Chapel)

G.V. II


Convent building and chapel.
1857. Architect Charles Hansom. Chapel added 1865-7 to
the designs of M.E. Hadfield and his son Charles. Brown
brick, hipped slate roof. Three storeys. Enriched eaves
cornice. Five bays, entrance bay gabled with two-storey
windows with plate tracery, and three lancets in gable end;
arched door with richly ornamental blind fanlight. Remaining
bays have round-headed sashes with marginal glazing bars and
pointed relieving arches forming a blind arcade on ground
floor, segment-headed sashes with relieving arches on first
floor, and sashes with shouldered lintels on second floor.
Chapel on garden side was (understandably) praised by
Eastlake. Brown brick, with blue brick strings and some
ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Two storeys. Chapel on
first. Four bays (of which only three project from rear of
house) and five-bay rounded apse. Very tall smooth and
gaunt. Mulit-stepped buttresses. Two-light plate tracery
"Early French" windows, quatrefoils, ground floor ones with
ringed, colonnettes, first floor ones with lobed in
tympanum. Apse windows are lancets with polychrome
voussoirs and flanking marble colonnettes, paired cusped
lancets on ground floor. Sculpted relief in central apse
bay. Sculpted angel (wooden?) on finial at south end of
ridge. Tall hexagonal slated fleche with weathervane and
open lantern stage with cusped openings. Two-storey
projection in fourth bay of chapel on west side of 2 bays;
gable roof and similar windows as elsewhere. 1st bay
sacristy projection with side chapel on 1st floor. 2nd bay
later, with hipped roof, two-light stone mullioned windows;
doorway with blind arched fanlight, decorated with diapering
in return.
Interior has quadripartite vaults taken on colonnettes
springing from foliated corbels. Vault to apse painted;
colonnettes on angle corbels, colonnettes of wall arches
ashlar, colonnettes of transverse arches black marble.
timber fronted gallery with C20 screen under. Entrance door
in deeply moulded arch with two orders of black marble
colonnettes, oak door with ornamental iron hinges. The
chapel was damaged 1941 and restored 1949 (glass by Messrs.
Early of Dublin).


Listing NGR: SJ3551890071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.