This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1415 / 51°8'29"N
Longitude: 0.8241 / 0°49'26"E
OS Eastings: 597646
OS Northings: 141815
OS Grid: TQ976418
Mapcode National: GBR RWT.C5C
Mapcode Global: VHKKM.7KJT
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Last Amended: 10 October 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180968
Location: Great Chart with Singleton, Ashford, Kent, TN23
Civil Parish: Great Chart with Singleton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5272 GREAT CHART THE STREET
(formerly listed as
TQ 9741 24/21 14.2.67
Sir Charles Igglesden, in his "Saunters through Kent with a Pen and Pencil",
says that the house was built in 1818 by the Reverend Thomas Manners Sutton,
who was Rector until 1852. However, the north wing appears to be C18 and the
1818 construction probably comprised the addition of the south-east wing.
Two storeys stone rubble, with red brick window dressings and quoins. Glazing
bars intact. The north wing has 4 windows and a hipped tiled roof. The south-west
wing, which projects slightly, has 2 windows, a hipped slate roof, an unusual
doorcase with enriched pilasters, projecting cornice and square fanlight and
a brick chimney breast corbelled out above it in the first floor. The south-west
wing is a later C19 addition.
Listing NGR: TQ9781841854
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings