This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5717 / 53°34'18"N
Longitude: -2.7292 / 2°43'45"W
OS Eastings: 351809
OS Northings: 408596
OS Grid: SD518085
Mapcode National: GBR 9WC4.YC
Mapcode Global: WH86L.1HN5
Entry Name: Halliwell Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357903
Location: Wrightington, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Wrightington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50NW LEES LANE
1283-/10/10007 Halliwell Farmhouse
Part of gentry hall-house, subsequently farmhouse, now house. Dated 1671 on porch; partly reduced and rebuilt in C18. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof, brick chimney. Irregular plan formed by a short one-bay double-depth C18 main range and a 2-bay C17 crosswing at the east end with a contemporary porch overlapping the main range (see History below). Two storeys, 1:1:1 windows, with a projecting 2-storey gabled porch offset left of centre, a moulded plinth carried round this and the wing to the right, and a chamfered plinth to the main range. The porch has a fine round-headed outer doorway with
moulded surround and imposts, a simple square-headed inner doorway (belonging to the later rebuilding), a datestone lettered H
and above this a 6-light double-chamfered mullion-and-transom window with a
cavetto-moulded hoodmould. To the right, the gable of the wing has similar
mullion-and-transom windows on both floors, 10 lights at ground floor and 8 above, with a drip-band over that at ground floor carried round. The right-hand return wall of this wing, which steps out at midpoint, has double-chamfered mullioned windows of 5 and 5 lights at ground floor, 3 and 4 lights above, the lower protected by the drip-band and the upper with hoodmoulds. The rear of the wing has a 3-light mullioned window at ground floor and a similar stair-window to the right (both with mullions now rendered on the outside), and above the stairwindow a small 2-light window under the eaves (without a mullion, and a
3rd light to the left blocked). The C18 main range has one square window on each floor, both recently fitted with stone mullions; and to the left of this is a C20 addition.
INTERIOR: the wing has a fine segmental-arched parlour fireplace with moulded
surround, and above this an ex situ datestone with raised lettering "R. B./ 1649"; quarter-round moulded beams on both floors; timber-flamed partitioning to the stairwell (but altered staircase) and to the chambers at 1st floor; and a chamber fireplace with chamfered surround. HISTORY: 6 hearths recorded in 1666 (the second highest in Up Holland); wing added in 1671 by Lawrence Halliwell, gent., and his wife Alice. A good example of alternate rebuilding, the wing (with the transomed windows and parlour fireplace charactersitic of gentry status) evidently having been added to a much larger hall-range (probably timber-framed) which was taken down and replaced in the C18. [Reference: private report and survey by Garry Miller, 1988.] Forms a group with the barn approx. 20m north-east (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD5180908596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings