History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock Farmhouse and Attached Workshop

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittle-le-Woods, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6837 / 53°41'1"N

Longitude: -2.621 / 2°37'15"W

OS Eastings: 359082

OS Northings: 420984

OS Grid: SD590209

Mapcode National: GBR BT4V.C7

Mapcode Global: WH975.QN3V

Entry Name: Lock Farmhouse and Attached Workshop

Listing Date: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357694

Location: Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Whittle-le-Woods

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittle-le-Woods St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Heapey

Listing Text

SD 52 SE
3/173

WHITTLE-LE-WOODS
TOWN LANE
Lock Farmhouse and attached workshop

GV
II
Farmhouse, C17, altered in C18 (datestone 1727) with attached loomshop; now house. Coursed sandstone rubble with plinth and large quoins, roof of slates and some stone slates with 3 gable chimneys (all brick). T-plan: 3-bay front range with single bay rear extension (loomshop attached to this). Two storeys (except loomshop). 1st floor band carries round all sides (except rear of extension, which is rendered). Front door at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays has large jamb stones and lintel; above this at 1st floor is a datestone with recessed arched panel lettered in relief

H
P + I
1727

3 C19 sashed windows each floor (not vertically aligned). Rear has original stone mullioned windows with chamfered reveals: of 3 and 2 lights at ground floor of 1st bay (a small square window above), and one 4-light window on each floor of east side of extension, the lower with a hoodmould, both lacking one mullion; west side of extension has a 5-light window at 1st floor. Attached at right angles to ground floor on this side is a wide single storey loomshop of watershot masonry with quoins and slate roof with chimney stump at west gable, which has in each side wall continuous stone mullioned windows of 12 lights divided into groups of 3 by broad flush mullions; all variously altered: rare survival of workshop added to farmhouse in domestic phase of history of textile industry.

Interior of house not inspected.


Listing NGR: SD5908220984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.