History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade I Listed Building in Halsall, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5855 / 53°35'7"N

Longitude: -2.9523 / 2°57'8"W

OS Eastings: 337055

OS Northings: 410296

OS Grid: SD370102

Mapcode National: GBR 7VTZ.MF

Mapcode Global: WH86G.M4CN

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357824

Location: Halsall, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Halsall

Built-Up Area: Halsall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Halsall St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SD 31 SE
3/54 Church of St Cuthbert

Church. Chancel early C14, nave rebuilt later C14, early C15 tower;
restored 1886. Squared sandstone with roofs of stone slate, and of sheet
metal to chancel. Comprises a west tower with a south projection built as
a grammar school, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north vestry,
and south porch. The tower is broached to an octagon and has a stone
spire rebuilt in the C19 with lucarnes. The bell stage has 4 openings,
each of 2 lights with a quatrefoil below a flat head. The west window is
of 2 lights with tracery under a flat head. The former grammar school,
founded by Edward Halsall in 1593, has an embattled parapet, gabled to
the south. The west wall is of 2 bays and the south wall of one. The
windows are early C19, each of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head.
In the east wall is a blocked doorway. Above are the worn arms of Halsall
and an inscription said to be 'EH 1593' (VCH). The south aisle wall was
largely rebuilt in 1886 and is of one bay to the left of the porch and 2
to the right. The windows have trefoiled lights under flat heads with
tracery. The gabled porch has a C19 niche below the apex, containing a
figure of St Cuthbert. The outer and inner doorways are similar to each
other, pointed and of 3 wave-moulded orders. The east window of the aisle
is early C14, of 2 lights with tracery under a pointed head. At the
junction with the chancel is a projection which contained a rood stair,
broached to an octagon with blind tracery decoration and with a crocketed
spirelet. To its west is a 3-light early C16 window at clearstorey level.
At the ridge of the roof is an octagonal sanctus bellcote. The north
aisle wall is of 4 bays, with a further doorway and window to the east
serving the vestry. It was rebuilt in 1886 and has windows with flat
heads and tracery. The chancel is blind on the north side. The south wall
of the chancel is of 3 bays and has moulded pointed 3-light windows with
late Decorated tracery repaired in the C19. The 5-light east window is
similar in style. Interior: the tall pointed tower arch is moulded in 3
orders, the inner order springing from engaged shafts. The nave arcades
are of 4 bays with arches wave-moulded in 2 orders and with octagonal
piers. The nave roof was renewed in the C19 and has arch-braced rafters,
and a collar plate supported by 2 plain crown posts which rise from tie-
beams. At the east end of the south aisle is a piscina. The chancel arch
is moulded in 3 orders with engaged shafts. To the north and south dwarf
stone walls are linked to late C19 pulpits, the northern one with carved
tracery and the southern one within an arched canopy. The north wall of
the chancel contains a C19 arch to the organ chamber and a deeply-moulded
C14 vestry doorway which has a C14 panelled door with reticulated tracery
in the head. To its east is a recess, now containing an early C16 effigy.
It is moulded and cusped under a crocketed gable and is flanked by tall
crocketed pinnacles which have finials of deeply-cut foliage. In the
south wall are C14 triple sedilia and a piscina, with cinquefoiled heads
and moulded labels. A painted tomb chest has 2 effigies, said to be Sir
Henry Halsall (d.1523) and his wife Margaret. The choir stalls
incorporate some C15 woodwork including misericords and bench ends. The
stone font has a round C19 bowl with carved quatrefoils, on a moulded
stem which is probably C14. The west window of the north aisle and the
east window of the south aisle contain fragments of medieval glass.

Listing NGR: SD3705210294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.