This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9442 / 51°56'39"N
Longitude: 1.0812 / 1°4'52"E
OS Eastings: 611868
OS Northings: 231785
OS Grid: TM118317
Mapcode National: GBR TP4.45W
Mapcode Global: VHLCB.PDGF
Entry Name: Maltings and Kiln Number 1, Mistley Quay Handling and Forwarding Company Limited
Listing Date: 30 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438487
Location: Mistley, Tendring, Essex, CO11
Civil Parish: Mistley
Built-Up Area: Mistley
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Mistley with Manningtree St Mary and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Maltings and Kiln No.1.Mistley Quay Handling and Forwarding Company Limited
Maltings.Circa 1896,now empty apart from a small area on fifth floor used as offices for Mistley Quay Handling Company.For Free,Rodwell and Company Ltd.Iron work by J.R.M. Fitch,Lawford Ironworks.Red brick with gault dressings.Double range,grey slate roofs.Kiln to east with tall pyramidal roof.An imposing building presenting eight storeys to the quayside and five storeys to High Street.The Kiln of five storeys with roof to full height of the Maltings.The lower storeys act as a buttress to the High Street and are twety-five feet wide,the five upper storeys fifty-six feet wide.Kiln of three bays,Maltings of.Seventeen bays with pilasters between,four dentilled and moulded bands and parapet band;gable ends similar of two:two bays with central pilasters extending to gable apices,cornices to apices.Originally with segmental headed louvred three light ventilator openings to each bay and storey,four C20 windows have been inserted to fifth storey of High Street and Mistley Quay faces,also some loading doors.Three.bays break forward to both faces with panelled parapet,the High Street bays with semi-circular arches to top floor.To the east of these three bays is a cast iron hoist loft supported by iron columns,with projecting shaft and pully wheel.Interior.A small area has been enclosed since 1967 as an office unit,and there is some storage in ground floor rooms.Most of the Maltings red quarry tiled floors remain.Cast iron support pillars with moulded capitals to each floor.Cast iron mesh floor to kiln,cast iron turner.Cast iron kiln doors.Cast iron self emptying steeping tanks.Cast iron scales labelled W & Avery,Birmingham.Driving shaft with wheels and chute to Kiln.During the 1850's there were many partnerships in the Mistley Malting industry,during 1983 Robert Free,William Hunter Rodwell,Robert E. Free and E.N. Heneage consolidated their interests to Free,Rodwell and Company Ltd.,with four maltings.No. 1 was reconstructed in 1896,No. 5 was built the following year but was burnt to the ground 1898,even so,the Company had built No.6 before the end of the century and No.7 by 1904.Robert Free published a pamphlet 1888 announcing "the installation of self-emptying steeping cisterns,wedgewire kilns with Blackman's air propellor,malt storage for a season's making and mechanical conveyors for the raw barley and finished malt." He also stressed the need for large storage capacity.He foresaw the development of farming which was to bring the whole of the.harvest onto the market during the months of September-November each year.Robert Free's advanced technological ideas were executed in cast iron by J.R.M.Fitch,formerly Bendall of Lawford Ironworks,Manningtree,now demolished.He died 1902 and his son in 1928,their successor Mr.I.Garwood,later introduced new features including power shovels to load and unload kilns and turners.About 1961 Dr.Sandegrin of Sweden developed gibroic acid which speeded up the steeping process to five and now three days and this company are,believed to be the first to use this method commercially.Of the seven maltings only this, Nos. 7,3 and 4 in School Road q.v.10/256 and 257 and No.2 in High Street now remain,plus a kiln of Nos.5 and 6 on Baltic Wharf,Mistley Quay:Maltings No. 2 High Street,now owned by Messrs.Edme and Co.had its kiln destroyed by fire a few years ago but is used to manufacture cereal products.Nos.7,3 and 4 are at present owned by Allbrew Maltsters Ltd and are empty q.v.10/256 and 257.The horizontal steam engine No.65019 by Marshall,Gainsborough has been removed from Messrs.Edme's works in High Street to The Industrial Steam Museum,Forncett St. Mary,Norfolk.Malting at Mistley pamphlet produced by Messrs Allbrew Maltsters Ltd during the 1960's.Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia John Booker,1980 Batsford.Information from Mr.I. Garwood Mistley Quay.Handling Co. Ltd.,Mr.A. Coleman,Allbrew Maltsters Ltd.,and Mr. Lansdown,Messrs.Edme Maltings Ltd.
Listing NGR: TM1186831785
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings