This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.349 / 53°20'56"N
Longitude: -3.135 / 3°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 324538
OS Northings: 384164
OS Grid: SJ245841
Mapcode National: GBR 6YKQ.26
Mapcode Global: WH76D.T29Y
Entry Name: Former barn and granary to Dawpool Farm
Listing Date: 25 March 1981
Last Amended: 19 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215646
Location: Wirral, CH61
Electoral Ward/Division: West Kirby and Thurstaston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thurstaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/07/2018
SJ 28 SW
STATION ROAD (North Side)
Former barn and granary to Dawpool Farm
(Formerly listed as Barn and Granary to Dawpool Farm, to west of other buildings, STATION ROAD)
Former barn and granary. Dated 'J.H. 1862'. For James Hegan. Coursed, rock-faced red sandstone, graduated Welsh slate roof.
Barn in nine by five bays under twin roof and is linked to shorter granary building by water tank and roofed canopy. West wall of barn has numerous ventilation slots whilst east side is open sided having low plinth wall and tall piers dividing bays. Pointed arch beneath valley at south end.
Granary gable to south has two squared-headed doorways with overlights set between slatted casements with rounded sills and chamfered quoined surrounds; two boarded doors to first floor and window beneath central plaque with 'J.H. 1862' in bold figures; rounded kneelers and ashlar gable copings. The east side has ashlar ventilation loops whilst west side has wide double doors, pointed doorways and windows as gable front. The watertank structure linking barn and granary is supported on corbelled iron beams and brick arches. An octagonal boiler-chimney rises from granary roof.
Interior of barn: integral triangular buttresses; axial passage with flanking side walls supporting cast-iron columns which support tie beam and fishbone trusses. Southern bay forms coach-house and stable with casements, formerly leaded, flanking entrance, pitching holes to left. Stable has two bay stalls with chutes from left.
The barn and granary form the main element of a planned farm complex at Dawpool and are interesting examples of the mid-Victorian phase of agricultural building development.
Listing NGR: SJ2453884164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings