This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3487 / 53°20'55"N
Longitude: -3.1346 / 3°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 324566
OS Northings: 384134
OS Grid: SJ245841
Mapcode National: GBR 6YKQ.59
Mapcode Global: WH76D.T3H4
Entry Name: Former cattle sheds incorporating smithy and implement shed at Dawpool Farm
Listing Date: 5 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215660
Location: Wirral, CH61
Electoral Ward/Division: West Kirby and Thurstaston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thurstaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/07/2018
SJ 28 SW
STATION ROAD (North Side)
Former cattle sheds incorporating smithy and implement shed at Dawpool Farm.
(Formerly listed as Cattle Sheds incorporating smithy and implement shed at Dawpool Farm. STATION ROAD)
Former cattle sheds incorporating smithy and implement shed. c1865. For James Hegan. Coursed, rock-faced red sandstone, graduated Welsh slate roofs. Irregular range of one storey buildings set round yard to south of ' Former barn and granary at Dawpool Farm' (q.v.) and attached to the barn by a two storey link; the implement shed forms the north east side of the yard and beyond it projects a loose-box incorporating smithy workshop. Four bay loose box has port-slatted casements in ashlar surrounds having rounded sills and chamfered quoins and lintels; smithy in additional end bay has boarded door on left of four-pane window; rounded kneelers, ashlar gable copings, raised ridge with louvred side panels interspersed with glazed lights. Implement shed, adjoining at right angles, has four-bay opening divided by iron posts; enclosed end bay with boarded double doors; plain roof with ashlar gable copings.
Main cattle shed is of four bays with three square-headed doorways at north east end having boarded doors and overlights in chamfered, quoined surrounds; part-slatted casements in openings as before; raised ridge. The south west end of this building is linked by sturdy bull-pens to a row of individual pens with doorways as before under single roof with raised ridge. The two storey link to the barn has open-sided ground floor to east beneath ashlar oculus with sill and hood flanked by small casements. Opposite side of link has square-headed waggon entrance (on axis of main form drive).
These buildings are listed for group value as part of a planned farm complex of which the barn/granary, dated 1862, are the most impressive element. The cattle sheds apart, to be of same date apart from the loose box which has rubble walling of later character facing Station Road; the implement shed may also be of same later date.
Listing NGR: SJ2456684134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings