This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.309 / 52°18'32"N
Longitude: -1.1606 / 1°9'38"W
OS Eastings: 457324
OS Northings: 268206
OS Grid: SP573682
Mapcode National: GBR 8RH.7D5
Mapcode Global: VHCV5.T7S8
Plus Code: 9C4W8R5Q+HQ
Entry Name: Church of St Leodegarius
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076499
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360897
Location: Ashby St. Ledgers, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, CV23
County: West Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Ashby St Ledgers
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ashby St Ledgers The BVM and St Leodegarius
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Tagged with: Church building
ASHBY ST.LEDGERS MAIN STREET
5P5768 (East side)
17/3 Church of St. Leodegarius
18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of
The Blessed Virgin and St.
Church. C14-C15. Squared coursed ironstone and sandstone and uncoursed rubble.
Chancel and north chapel, aisled nave, north and south porches, west tower. C19
east window to chancel. Priest's door with wood lintel in south wall of chancel,
Perpendicular 2-light window above and large blocked straight headed opening in
left bay. Blocked arch in east wall of south aisle, probably to former south
chapel. Perpendicular 3-light windows with panel tracery to north and south
aisles. The tracery in the windows west of the porch and in the west wall of the
south aisle has been renewed.
North chapel has Perpendicular 3-light windows with quatrefoil tracery. C14
gabled south porch. Inner doorway has ogee shaped arch with continuous mouldings
and old studded plank door. Perpendicular north porch, converted for use as
vestry, has blocked outer doorway with moulded arch and plain jambs. Decorated
west tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet and bell openings of 2 lights
with panel tracery. Interior: Perpendicular nave arcades, 4 bays, with double
chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Rood screen, c.1500, has 4 traceried
openings, coving with fan vaulting, and dado with blind tracery and original
painted decoration. Two square Jacobean manorial pews flanking entrances to
chancel, carved with blind arcading and stylised foliage. Jacobean 3-decker
pulpit. Benches in nave, C14-C15, the ends with blind tracery. C18 box pews in
the aisles facing inwards to nave. Musicians pew at west end of south aisle. C18
altar rails. Wall paintings c.1500. One of the most complete cycles in England
of the Passion of Christ, but very faded. Also St. Christopher, north wall.
Flagellation of St. Margaret, c.1325 behind chancel arch, and Death with pick
and shovel, C16, south of tower arch. Stained glass: medieval fragments
including Catesby coat of arms, C14-C15, and the figure of a bishop, c.1470.
Monuments: John Ianson. 1663, alabaster oval wall tablet with life size
three-quarter figure. Brian Ianson died 1634 and his wife. Alabaster wall
monument with kneeling figures and children below. Joseph Ashley, died 1737.
Grey and white marble architectural wall tablet with pediment and winged cherubs
heads below. Signed by N. Hedges. Moses Ashley, died 1740. Grey and white marble
wall monument with portrait bust in roundel, also by N. Hedges. John Bentley
Ashley d.1761, by John Bacon, 1784. Standing wall monument with two large
allegorical figures flanking the inscription. Above them is a sarcophagus on
which is a Roman lamp on front of a black obelisk, James Ashley, died 1798;
simple wall monument with urn and obelisk. All in chancel. George Henry Arnold
died 1844 (north chapel) by I. Wheeler, of Reading. Gothic shrine with elaborate
canopy with crocketed pinnacles. Brasses to Thomas Stokes, died 1416 and wife..
Sir William Catesby died 1472 (?) and wife (one figure only remains) and George
Catesby (?) died 1505.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.89-9O).
Listing NGR: SP5732468206
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings