This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2449 / 52°14'41"N
Longitude: 0.7123 / 0°42'44"E
OS Eastings: 585266
OS Northings: 264216
OS Grid: TL852642
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.6WM
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9TDX
Entry Name: Corn Exchange
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466762
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
639-1/14/292 Corn Exchange
Corn Exchange. 1861-62, altered 1969-70. By Ellis and Woodard,
architects of Fenchurch Street, London. Ironwork by Ransomes
and Sims of Ipswich. Contractor, Lot Jackaman of Bury St
Edmunds. In white brick and freestone, probably Ancaster, with
Portland stone for the bases of the pillars; slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; on an island site. The whole building has
a stone modillion cornice with stone balustrading above the
north and south fronts and over the end bays on the east and
west. The south front, designed as a single storey, has a
giant hexastyle Ionic portico with a pediment decorated by
figures representing Agriculture.
The wings flanking the portico have blocked
semicircular-headed windows with stone architraves and
pediments on consoles, set in stone arched recesses and framed
by stone pilasters. The north front has a central pediment
with a circular stone panel bearing a coat of arms. The
2-storeyed east and west fronts were altered in 1969/70 to
make shop windows on the east side and a shopping arcade on
the west. 5 window range with the upper part of the original
stone arched semicircular headed windows. The shop fronts are
divided into bays by stone pilasters with the central and end
bays projecting slightly.
A slate-roofed colonnade on the north side, now a shop, was
originally part of the town Shambles, which occupied 3 sides
of the site on which the Corn Exchange is built. Plain Tuscan
columns with stilted segmental arches and iron scroll
ornamentation. One original free-standing Tuscan column
survives inside, raised and encased in C19 brick.
INTERIOR: originally open from floor to roof, with a 7-bay
arcade to east and west in which semicircular stone arches
were supported by cast-iron columns with wide, heavily
foliated caps. The arches are in alternating bands of light
and darker stone surmounted by a dentil cornice on the front
and back. Ornate keystones carry agricultural motifs such as
wheatsheaves and rams' heads, and the central keystone on each
side has the entwined initials VR within a roundel decorated
with roses, shamrock, daffodils and thistles. The main ribs of
the roof are supported on corbels with heavy enriched consoles
projecting from the cornice. Glazed roof with cast-iron
glazing bars and a decorated central plaster panel.
The upper floor was inserted just below the level of the
cast-iron capitals, which are now encased in wooden
shuttering. A stage has been built at the north end and 2
flights of stairs inserted within the vestibule of the
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 146;
White W: Directory of Suffolk: Sheffield: 1874-: 580).
Listing NGR: TL8526664216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings