This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4981 / 52°29'53"N
Longitude: -1.973 / 1°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 401926
OS Northings: 288913
OS Grid: SP019889
Mapcode National: GBR 5H2.6C
Mapcode Global: VH9YV.RG9S
Entry Name: Smethwick New Pumping House Approximately 50 Metres North West of Brasshouse Lane Birmingham Canal Birmingham Level
Listing Date: 29 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219213
Location: Sandwell, B66
Electoral Ward/Division: Smethwick
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL
SP 0188 NE
Birmingham Level, Smethwick
19/14 Smethwick new Pumping House
approximately 50 metres
north-west of Brasshouse Lane
Pumping house between Smeaton's Old Main Line on the Wolverhampton Level and
Telford's New Main Line on the Birmingham Level. 1892. Brick with slate roof.
One storey to Old Main Line and two storeys to New Main Line. Lower storey
has four-bay blind arcade with impost band, and a smaller doorway within
right-hand arch. The upper storey has four windows with segmental heads, the
two right-hand ones blocked, and a drip course. Miniature false machicolation
to the eaves; adjoining to the left is the ashes hole with a doorway for removing
the ash. Hipped slate roof in two spans, with louvred ridge ventilators. Right-
hand return wall of three bays, with blocked windows. North-east wall, facing
upper level, has two wide elliptical arches with smaller inner segmental arches.
The right-hand one is blocked, the left-hand one is a doorway. In front of the
right-hand archway are the foundation walls of the coal hole. Interior: steel
roof trusses. History: This pumping house replaced two earlier pumping stations
on the Engine Arm of the Birmingham Canal. It was the last to be erected on
this section of the canal and housed two vertical compound engines driving
centrifugal pumps capable of lifting 200 locks per day. In 1905 one engine was
removed for use at Bentley, the remaining one being in use until the early 1920s.
The pumphouse is a prominent feature of the canalside landscape.
Listing NGR: SP0192688913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings