This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6035 / 52°36'12"N
Longitude: 0.7407 / 0°44'26"E
OS Eastings: 585693
OS Northings: 304167
OS Grid: TF856041
Mapcode National: GBR R9X.N36
Mapcode Global: WHKR3.BTYF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221053
Location: South Pickenham, Breckland, Norfolk, PE37
Civil Parish: South Pickenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Pickenham South All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 80 SE
10/56 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Fabric generally 14th century and 15th century with some
17th century rebuilding work following the collapse of the roof in 1604.
Base of tower probably 12th century. Flint with brick and limestone
dressings; pantiled roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch. Round
west tower with 14th century octagonal upper stage. The octagonal stage
has restored 2-light bell openings with cusped Y-tracery and roll-moulded
quoins to angles. Small semi-circular headed west window. Windows in north
wall of nave and south wall of chancel are of two lights with cusped 'Y'
tracery c. 1300. The south wall of the nave has one 2-light late Decorated
window, a large blocked opening with a later square drip mould now truncating
the arched head, a two light window with 'Y' tracery, the mullion rebuilt
in ovolo-moulded brick, and a 2-light Decorated window with a restored
elliptical head. Staged buttresses of flint and brick with stone dressings.
East wall has angle buttresses and a 4-light reticulated window under an
ogee headed arch. Small cusped niche below east window. The north wall
of the chancel has a projecting pier, semi-circular on plan, with a pantile
capping, possibly an old flue. Priests door with segmental head adjoining
a 3-light Perpendicular window. The westernmost window in the north wall
of nave is 2-light late Decorated/early Perpendicular Large brick buttresses
with stone copings. North porch of brick and flint, much rebuilt.
Interior: nave roof probably 17th century, rebuilt in 1907: quadrant moulded
tie beams with curious shallow arch braces to wall posts. Wooden cornice
with poker-work decoration. Chancel roof boarded, with wooden coving.
Continuous hood mould over south chancel windows supported at west end on
shaft with Romanesque capital. Dropped cill sedilia and angle piscina to
easternmost window, 14th century. Carved corbels for roof loft remain in
nave walls. Painting: the south nave wall has a 14th century St. Christopher
and the remains of text in the reveal of the easternmost window; two later
panels of text on the north wall. 17th century wooden plaque, now very
decayed, in base of window in south nave wall. Good polygonal pulpit on
ball feet with raised and fielded panelled sides, probably early 18th century.
Good 17th century and 18th century wall monuments in chancel, including two
identical tablets on each side of alter, by John Ivory of Norwich, dated
1759 and 1790. 14th century octagonal font with quatrefoil panels to bowl
and cored stem. Fine organ case by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, re-set from West Tofts, St.Mary.
Listing NGR: TF8569304167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings