This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3779 / 52°22'40"N
Longitude: 0.9491 / 0°56'56"E
OS Eastings: 600826
OS Northings: 279633
OS Grid: TM008796
Mapcode National: GBR SG7.SY2
Mapcode Global: VHKCP.DHLG
Entry Name: Blo' Norton Hall
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220520
Location: Blo' Norton, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: Blo' Norton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Blo'norton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 07 NW BLO' NORTON
8/1 Blo' Norton Hall
Country House, now divided into 2 properties. Mid C16, enlarged 1585. Timber
framed with rendered wattle and daub and brick gables. Plain tiled roof.
Modified through passage E plan. 2 storeys and dormer attic. North front
of 3 bays flanked by shallow gabled cross wings. Central door under hood-
moulded architrave flanked by projecting window bays to right and left
containing C18 3-light cross casements each floor. Similar window above door
and 3 random 3-light hollow chamfered mullion windows in facade. Overhanging
eaves. Gabled roof with 3 gabled dormers with C18 leaded casements. Cross
wings with projecting window bays under pediments at first floor with similar
C18 casements in both floors, at upper level flanked by 1 3-light timber
mullioned window right and left. Attic casements with leaded lights. West
front has framing exposed - large framed with intermediate close studding.
Large external stepped stack to left with 2 octagonal flues on bell bases.
Scattered fenestration of C17, C18 and C20 mostly with leaded lights and
original glass. One gabled dormer with C18 casement. South gable of brick
in English bond with stepped parapet and internal stack. Similar south gable
to east wing, both forming cross wings to original range. 2 large stepped
stacks to rear of north range and various altered C18 fenestration. East front
has timbering exposed towards north front and stepped external stack bearing
inscription E.H.B. 1585 in terracotta panel. Square flue above rebuilt 1847.
Staggered disposition of C18 leaded casements and 2 3-light hollow chamfered
mullioned windows to first floor. Gabled dormer above. Interior. Original
north range retains many doors of Elizabethan date. Through passage intact
to east of C16 screen : 2 doorways, that to south now blocked with panelling,
the whole articulated by 7 fluted and reeded pilasters, supporting moulded
rail above vestigial Ionic capitals. Rail includes string of applied guttae
under 7 consoles above pilasters each with raised floriated decoration. Above
rail is panelling to ceiling. Central chamfered bridging beam to hall and
moulded brick rendered fireplaces with 4-centred arch. North-west ground floor
room has larger similar fireplace with panelled overmantel and reeded frieze.
West wing has fine C17 dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and square newel
posts with ball finials. Chamfered handrail. First floor sitting room with
4-centred fireplace below panelled overmantel with figured ends. Roofs of
clasped purlins and collars with C19 repairs.
Listing NGR: TM0082679633
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings