This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3783 / 52°22'42"N
Longitude: 0.9549 / 0°57'17"E
OS Eastings: 601222
OS Northings: 279698
OS Grid: TM012796
Mapcode National: GBR SG7.VMW
Mapcode Global: VHKCP.HHP3
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077440
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220522
Location: Blo' Norton, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: Blo' Norton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Blo'norton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 07 NW BLO' NORTON
8/3 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C13, remodelled C14, restored 1879. Partly rendered flint
with ashlar dressings and slate roof. West tower and continuous nave and
chancel. 2 stage tower with diagonal buttresses to west and flat to east all
with chequered flushwork. 2-light west window with C19 timber Y tracery below
round-arched lancet. Square lights to ringing chamber to north and west.
Projecting square stair turret at south-east corner. 2-light cusped and ogeed
belfry windows under pointed heads and hood mould on label stops. Crenellated
parapet above string course. 4 flat buttresses to south nave with 5 assorted
windows : 2-tight ogeed under square hood with supermullion; 2-light ogeed
with reticulation unit, arched under hood; 2 C19 Y lancets to chancel and one
plain lancet. Low arched priest's door. East parapet with Latin cross. Flint
east wall with triple lancet group with stiff leaf hood stops, all 1879. One
hollow chamfered lancet to chancel north and a brick repaired flat buttress.
2-light cusped ogeed window to nave with reticulation unit under segmental
arch on labels and 2-light flat-headed window at west beyond porch. C16 gabled
north porch, timber framed with some brick. 4 centred braces over gate with
floriated spandrels. Interior. Tall chamfered tower arch of C13. Continuous
scissor braced roof of 1879. Windows with deep sconsion and hollow chamfered
rare arches. East window group under semi-circular rere arch. Arched rood
stair opening. Octagonal C14 font with stem and bowl decorated with blind
tracery panels in form of encircled quatrefoils, shields, incised panels
including 6-pointed star. Painted Royal Arms of William and Mary (1689-1702)
under tower. Roll moulded north door with hood and cinquefoiled holy water
stoup to left on exterior.
Listing NGR: TM0122279698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings