This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9207 / 52°55'14"N
Longitude: 0.7595 / 0°45'34"E
OS Eastings: 585613
OS Northings: 339490
OS Grid: TF856394
Mapcode National: GBR R62.T0M
Mapcode Global: WHKPK.MVW8
Entry Name: Remains of Creake Abbey Church
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Last Amended: 18 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221568
Location: North Creake, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: North Creake
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Creake North St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 83 NE NORTH CREAKE
5/36 Remains of Creake
5.6.53. Abbey Church
(formerly listed as
The Remains of St Mary's Aboey)
Remains of Abbey Church of St. Mary. Founded 1206 for Augustinian Canons,
first a Priory, then an Abbey. Dissolved 1507 after extinction of community
in the plague, given 1509 to newly founded Christ's College, Cambridge. Mostly
C13, some C14 and C15 evidence. Flint, ashlar and rubble stone. Formerly
nave and aisles with crossing, north and south transepts and choir. Church
perhaps lost nave and aisles in C15, transepts truncated and chapels added
at south east and north east. Nave and aisles survive as footings only.
South bondary of south aisle forms cloister garden wall of Abbey Farmhouse
(q.v.). North and south aisles end in C13 2-centred ashlar piers and arches,
at south with 2-light paired lancets inserted. Crossing survives to springing
of arches, at north-west to capital level, at north-east and south-west as
pier, capital and springing of arch, at south-east as capital and part
of arch. Polygonal projections and finely moulded arches. 6 bay chancel,
4 bays surviving to roof height. North and south arches next to crossing
with semi octagonal piers and moulded arches, perhaps C14 or C15 insertions.
Above 4 giant blank arcades, interrupted by north and south arches, rising
from dado to vault height, formerly with detached shaft colonnettes. South
crossing chapel has C13 arch from south transept, east and south windows.
North crossing arch blocked in C15. North transept replaced by 2 C14 north-east
chapels. Inner chapel parallel with choir has C13 south arch, 2 C14 quatrefoil
piers with moulded arches opening to outer chapel, south piscina. Substantial
outer north-east chapel has fine octagonal mid-C14 south pier, surviving south
side arch with mouldings dying into piers. Dado sill and segmental north
sepulchre arch. C14 east window without tracery, south side piscina. First
restored 1864 by R.M. Phipson, architect. Ancient Monument, County Number
196. See C.H. Compton Creake, Norfolk; its Abbey and Churches (Journal of
British Archaeological Association, 46 (1890), pp. 201-20; R.J. Simpson North
Creake Church and Abbey (Norwich 1896) and Bedingfield A L and Gilyard - Beer
R, Creake Abbey Norfolk (H.M. Ministry of Works Guide) (1970).
Listing NGR: TF8561339490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings