History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farmhouse at Red House Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring Rural, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8362 / 51°50'10"N

Longitude: -0.716 / 0°42'57"W

OS Eastings: 488565

OS Northings: 216063

OS Grid: SP885160

Mapcode National: GBR D2N.ZRL

Mapcode Global: VHDV6.J3VQ

Entry Name: Farmhouse at Red House Farm

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355782

Location: Tring Rural, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring Rural

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text

TRING RURAL STATION ROAD
SP 81 NE
(West side)
Long Marston
1/145 Farmhouse at Red House Farm
30.11.66 (Formerly listed as Red
House Farmhouse)
- II
House. Circa 1500-1520 former open-hall house, chimney inserted in C17,
E crosswing C19, lean-to at W end converted to part of house in later
C20. Timber frame brick nogged, front and E wing stucco. Steep old red
tile roofs. Medieval hall house of unusual plan with small lofty hall to
E of present entrance, and 2, storeyed, bays extending to W of it ending
in a jetty at W end. Service rooms were probably on site of C19 E
crosswing. C17 conversion with back-to-back fireplaces, stair to rear
and lobby entrance on N front, formed in first storeyed bay to W of hall
which was then floored. A 2-storeyed, 3 windows house facing N with late
E crosswing half-hipped and projecting to front and rear. Recessed
2-light and 3-light casement windows. 6-panel door with flat hood.
Interior has exposed timbers, fine original deeply moulded cross beam to
W of stack with ogee and hollow mouldings and mortices for joists
removed when stack inserted. Solid knee brace to cambered tie-beam over.
Straight tension braces in walls and curved wind-braces in roof. Closed
truss remains at 1st floor to E of stack, formerly the W end of the open
hall. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: SP8856516063

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.