This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0203 / 52°1'12"N
Longitude: -3.0485 / 3°2'54"W
OS Eastings: 328147
OS Northings: 236279
OS Grid: SO281362
Mapcode National: GBR F4.GVVF
Mapcode Global: VH787.3HQ3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355310
Location: Craswall, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Craswall
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Craswall
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 23 NE
Church of St Mary
Parish church. Early C15, C17 south porch, internal wall separating
western part of nave probably of C18, restored 1883. Sandstone rubble,
timber-framed bell turret with weatherboard cladding, stone slate roofs.
Nave with bell turret and south porch, chancel. Nave and chancel of six
bays; west bell turret with pyramidal roof; south front, small gabled
dormer with casement window toward centre, one square-headed window
opening to left and two similar square-headed 2-light windows of 1883
restoration to right of gabled C17 south porch; C15 inner doorway with
moulded jambs and 3-centred head; the two windows to right flank a further
doorway probably of C15 date with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head;
early C15 square-headed east window survives with three cinquefoiled-ogee-
headed lights, no windows on north wall with only traces of one blocked
square-headed window on exterior at eastern end; continuous stone bench
runs along the east and south sides of the chancel and the east side of
the south porch. Interior: two western bays of nave are separated from
the remainder of the church by the added wall and now used as a vestry,
access through south porch and through a later square-headed doorway in
interior, formerly an arched opening; renewed roof presumably contemporary
with dividing wall; remaining four bays of nave and chancel with braced
collar-beam trusses blocked below the trusses may indicate the former
existence of tie-beams, three rough tie-beams have been added at a later
date, soffit of roof is boarded, traces of painted foliage decoration
survive on purlins of eastern bay; moulded and embattled wall-plate. To
west of nave against inserted wall is a C18 wooden gallery lit by the
dormer window; south wall of chancel, piscina with two drains not in situ;
church retains two C18 oak communion tables; font of 1912. The east window
and piscina are reputed to have come from Craswall Priory. The vestry
was used as a school room during C19. To the north of the church is a
shallow rectangular depression said to have been a Fives Court; to the
north-west is a further depression said to have been used as a cockpit.
[BOE, p 107; RCHM Vol I, p 42).
Listing NGR: SO2814736279
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings