This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5559 / 51°33'21"N
Longitude: -0.1697 / 0°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 526982
OS Northings: 185697
OS Grid: TQ269856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.PVR
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.05M3
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477140
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Hallows Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NE DOWNSHIRE HILL
798-1/27/341 (South side)
11/08/50 Church of St John
Church. 1818-23. Possibly by CR Cockerell or designed by its
builder, William Woods. Stucco. Slated roof. Classical style.
EXTERIOR: 5-bay aisled nave. Symmetrical west front with
slightly projecting central pedimented bay having pilasters at
angles and flanked by small wings with blind windows and
parapets upswept towards the central pediment. Prostyle
portico with penthouse roof and panel above inscribed "St.
John's Downshire Hill"; architraved doorway with panelled
double doors. Flanking the entrance, architraved round-arched
windows to ground floor and architraved oculi above. Pediment
with clock. Appearing above the pediment a rectangular bell
cupola with columns at angles carrying entablature and
round-arched louvred openings.
INTERIOR: particularly fine, with panelled galleries on 3
sides having 2 orders of slim cast-iron columns with enriched
capitals. Tunnel-vaulted roof with simple coffers.
Distyle-in-antis Corinthian reredos with inscribed entablature
and architraved and pedimented doorways in outer bays. East
window above of Venetian type with pilastered architrave and
patterned stained glass including the eagle of St John. North
and south walls have segmental-arched windows with splayed
soffits above and below galleries; rear of galleries has
corresponding round-arched openings to allow light through.
Box pews with umbrella stands on doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built to serve the new middle-class
surrounding development. In 1916 the freehold was bought by
Leslie Wright who leased it to the congregation for a nominal
rent. At his death he requested it should not be sold so long
as there was a congregation to support it. St John's remains
the only proprietary chapel in the diocese of London which is
Listing NGR: TQ2698285697
Other nearby listed buildings