This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5195 / 51°31'10"N
Longitude: -0.1059 / 0°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 531510
OS Northings: 181768
OS Grid: TQ315817
Mapcode National: GBR N9.CG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.32VG
Entry Name: 25 and 27, Farringdon Road
Listing Date: 16 May 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078338
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477271
Location: Camden, London, EC1M
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban Holborn
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3181NE FARRINGDON ROAD
798-1/103/429 (East side)
16/05/78 Nos.25 AND 27
Workshops. 1873-4. By Harding and Bond for Bradbury, Wilkinson
& Co., engravers, for printing banknotes. Polychromatic brick
in yellow, red and black with stone facing to ground floor.
EXTERIOR: 6 storeys in Venetian Gothic style. 8 bays to
Farringdon Road; rounded, slightly recessed corner bay, then 7
bays to Greville Street, with the centre bay slightly
advanced. Ground floor takes the form of a stone faced base
with (renewed) windows set between piers from which a tall
brick gothic arcade rises to embrace the next three floors,
whose windows are slightly recessed. Entrance with stone
surround rises through 1st floor with arched 3-light window.
4-pane sash windows separated vertically by brick and
terracotta aprons having central slender iron column mullions,
those to the second floor rising through the aprons to the
small round-headed windows above, to support stone tracery
filling the arcade arch which springs from stone imposts.
Corbelled cornice at 3rd floor level above which 2 attic
storeys of sash windows (separated by a brick cornice) in
pairs and triplets with decorative stone heads and divided by
iron column mullions. Brick and stone cornice. Grenville
Street elevation similar with Gothic gable over 2nd bay to
left and Gothic doorway in centre bay.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ3151081768
Other nearby listed buildings