This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5192 / 51°31'9"N
Longitude: -0.1041 / 0°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 531637
OS Northings: 181734
OS Grid: TQ316817
Mapcode National: GBR N9.SL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.42TQ
Entry Name: 51-53, Charterhouse Street
Listing Date: 28 April 1988
Last Amended: 7 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436210
Location: Islington, London, EC1M
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3181 NE CHARTERHOUSE STREET
2/36 Nos 51-53(consec)
GV 28.4.88 II
Cold store. 1899. Designed by C Stanley Peach. Brick with stone dressings and decoration; tiled mansard pavilions; otherwise roof not visible. 2 main stages. 7 bays to ground floor. Ground floor with Ionic half columns to centre 5 bays and Ionic console capitals to end bays. Blind arches to end bays and archway to second bay from left. Centre bays open with timber doors in pairs, or roll-down doors. Cornice above ground floor with words 'London Central Markets Cold Storage' to frieze. End bays to upper stage slightly advanced, with stone quoins and low, decorative pavilion roofs. Pilaster strips flanking centre bay, rising to arched window set in central pediment. Cartouches to centre and end bays, the latter with narrow corniced slit-like apertures beneath. Dentil cornice above first stage, with scrolly consoles below central pediment. Ball finials to left and right of pediment and turned finials to pavilion roofs to left and right, which each have inset circular window with decorative architrave. Built for J Van den Bergh, a cooper/margarine merchant. A relatively early cold store, treated architecturally.
(This building was formerly listed in the City of London).
Listing NGR: TQ3161681724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings