This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9324 / 51°55'56"N
Longitude: -2.4312 / 2°25'52"W
OS Eastings: 370446
OS Northings: 226071
OS Grid: SO704260
Mapcode National: GBR FY.NKJQ
Mapcode Global: VH86D.TP2J
Entry Name: Crooke's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 March 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125735
Location: Oxenhall, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Oxenhall
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Oxenhall St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 NW OXENHALL ROSS ROAD
3/198 Crooke's Farmhouse
Farmhouse; C15, early C17, early C19. Wet-dash roughcast: tiled
roof, painted brick to left return. Irregular L plan, 4-window
wide front, 2 storeys and attics. Wide, hipped porch, single
storey, Doric pillars on square bases each corner front, pilasters
rear, frieze, moulded cornice, all up 2 stone steps. Six-panel
front door behind, top 4 glazed, bottom 2 flush, sidelights over
flush panels, all in reeded frame with corner paterae, segmental
fanlight over. Either side a wide, flat-headed double French door
with matching fixed lights over, on right marginal lights to
extreme sides, on left 3 equal panes each door. To left frame for
dummy door. First floor 4 sash windows, flat heads, marginal
lights to sides. Hipped roof, slopes down to much lower eaves on
returns than on front. Upper part gabled on left, below chimney
to right of dummy door: 5 diagonally-set flues over. Right
return stone base to chimney external to fabric, top removed.
Interior: 6 panel doors to entrance hall and landing, reeded
surrounds, plain square corner blocks, panelled reveals to door on
right of hall. Moulded cornice to entrance hall and adjoining
rooms on front; reeded surrounds to fireplaces in latter, corner
paterae: semi-circular recess to rear of room on right, arched
head, surround as fireplace. Cellar under left room: scratch
moulded door. Rear rooms ground and first floor bar stop to
chamfer on ceiling beams, and one scratch-moulded boarded door;
above two 6-panel scratch moulded doors. Bottom flight of stairs
early C19 on reverse curves: above heavy moulded handrail and
string, square newels, ball finials, turned balusters. Ovolo
moulded beam over first floor: triple arch to front of house.
Slightly cambered ceiling first floor front room on right; above
C15 roof, 4 half bays, 2 infilled trusses fairly close together, an
open and a half truss, further truss to front just inside stone
front wall. Open truss collar, tie beam, curved struts, cusping to
upper parts principals,1 pair threaded purlins, originally a square
ridge: half truss curved braces in place of tie beam, scalloped
wind braces. Left end front timber framing shows in part inside,
originally close studding to ground floor: end trusses survive:
large fireplace on ground floor, crane over, oven to one side.
Medieval house altered C17, probably then H plan, with one rear
wing extended. Georgianized early C19. Described as 'a good
house' in 1712. Estate said to have been given to Thomas Hooke as
a reward for saving Henry V's life at Agincourt, 1415. Still
belonged to same family in 1985. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The
Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970, under Newent; R. Atkyns, The
Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, Vol. I, 1712;
Burke's Landed Gentry, Vol III, 1969).
Listing NGR: SO7044626071
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings