This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7852 / 51°47'6"N
Longitude: 0.014 / 0°0'50"E
OS Eastings: 539015
OS Northings: 211533
OS Grid: TL390115
Mapcode National: GBR KC1.4B1
Mapcode Global: VHHM5.6D79
Entry Name: The Baish Almshouses and Attached Forecourt Wall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355963
Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots
Built-Up Area: St Margarets
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD
Stanstead Abbots village
5/51 Nos 79 to 89 (odd)
(The Baish Almshouses)
and attached forecourt
(Formerly listed as The Baish's
Almshouses. 1653 for Sir Edward Baesh. Red brick in English-
bond with a long steep old red tiled roof. A single storey row
of 3 handed pairs of almshouses facing NW. Each pair has 2
plank doors together, in a heavy chamfered wooden frame, a 3-
light ovolo-moulded casement window with ironcentral opening
light for each house, a gable over the door with a single small
2-light ovolo-moulded window with leaded lattice glazing, and a
shared central chimney with a pair of diagonally set shafts.
Toothed corbel course below the eaves and low plastered plinth.
Modern single-storey small additions at rear and each end. Red
brick wall around elongated forecourt garden, taller at ends,
reduced at front but with heavy sloped brick coping reinstated.
Square gatepiers with stone caps and C20 wrought iron gate. A
landmark at a bend in the road at the S end of the village.
Listing NGR: TL3901511533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings