This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5943 / 51°35'39"N
Longitude: -0.2186 / 0°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 523492
OS Northings: 189891
OS Grid: TQ234898
Mapcode National: GBR B8.9KN
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.5693
Entry Name: Hendon Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 3 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198808
Location: Barnet, London, NW4
Electoral Ward/Division: Hendon
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Hendon
Church of England Diocese: London
5004 ASHLEY LANE
Hendon Hall Hotel
TQ 2389 20/1 3.2.50
1756-1759. Original building now embedded in modern accretions and with altered and
modernised stable buildings. Main (E) front, 3 storey 6 window red brick with carved
stone cornice and balustraded parapet with urns at the corners. The windows have
wide moulded and carved stone surrounds. Door right of centre has Roman Doric door-
case with columns, frieze and entablature (now protected by plain wooden porch). In
front of the facade is an astonishing full height portico said to come from Canons via
Wanstead from whence it would have been purchased after the 1822 sale and demolition.
It consists of 4 great red brick columns with rusticated bands and stone Corinthian
capitals supporting a carved stone entablature and pediment. The return of the
entablature cuts slightly into the top floor window surround on the right. The south
side on the garden has a central full height 3 window bow projection with 2 windows
on either side, those next to the bow on the first floor being replaced by niches (now
with statues). The window surrounds on this side are pedimented. The west front has
a semi-hexagonal 3 window bay to right with pedimented first floor window, and
1-3 windows, with a Roman Doric garden doorway. To the north of the original house
are large modern extensions with conservatory, etc.
Interior: mostly altered for hotel use, but there is a good carved staircase with
fluted balusters which are clustered to form the newels. The house belonged to
David Garick 1756-1779.
Listing NGR: TQ2349289891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings