History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rotunda (Royal Artillery Museum)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greenwich, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4842 / 51°29'3"N

Longitude: 0.0531 / 0°3'10"E

OS Eastings: 542650

OS Northings: 178139

OS Grid: TQ426781

Mapcode National: GBR NK.616

Mapcode Global: VHHNJ.VYXK

Entry Name: The Rotunda (Royal Artillery Museum)

Listing Date: 8 June 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200360

Location: Greenwich, London, SE18

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Common

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
North Woolwich

Listing Text

TQ 4278 Green Hill SE18
19/W63 (off Repositary Road)
The Rotunda (Royal Artillery

The grade shall be upgraded to grade II* (Star) and the description shall be
amended to read:-

Museum. Built 1814 by John Nash. Flemish band yellow brick; tented leaden
roof with weathervane surmounting small wooden cupola. Polygonal plan with
retangular projection to rear. One storey; 24-sided polygon, each bay defined
by raised pilaster linked by raised brick cornice and eaves band. Gauged
brick segmental arch over C20 double doors set in moulded wood architave
with bays each having gauged brick segmental arch over base-hung 27-pane
casement with reeded transom beneath fanlight. Similar articulation and
windows to flat-roofed one-storey, 2-bay rear wing which has further lxl bay
block to rear with hipped slate roof, brick stack and recessed panels to bays.
Interior: centrally-placed Doric column set on tall pedestal to roof which
has canvas tented ceiling ( a restoration of 1972 and hiding curved timber
trusses) which sweeps down to peripheral aisle of 24 pairs of columns
connected by segmental arches. History: this extraordinary building, in the
style of a spectacular bell tent, stood first in the grounds of Carlton House
Gardens where it was one of several erected for the meeting of the allied
sovereigns in 1814; in 1819 Nash supervised its removal, making it into a
permanent building with the addition of a leaden roof, brick walls and central
pillar, and conversion into a museum for the display of captured trophies.



The Rotunda
(Royal Artillery Museum)
TQ 4278 19/W63


1814. Designed by John Nash with later additions. Transferred from St James's
Park in 1819. Tent-shaped building, polygonal with 24 bays, in yellow stock
brick, tle bays defined by flat pilasters. Brick frieze and plinth. In alternate
bays- pivoted windows with glazing bars, under cornice heads with radial bars
above, and gauged, segmental brick arches over. Swept, leaded roof, rising high
in centre to octagonal wood cupola and vane. Inside its original rope supports
remain. Deep eaves soffit under moulded cornice. 1-storey, 2-window rear extension
with flat roof and windows as in main building; and a further low, 1-storey exten-
sion with hipped end to low pitched slated roof. Inside, a surrounding aisle
of reeded Doric columns supporting segmental vaulted bays. Tall, central Doric
column on plinth (a later addition) supports peak of roof.

Listing NGR: TQ4265078139

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.