This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5138 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.0811 / 0°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 533252
OS Northings: 181173
OS Grid: TQ332811
Mapcode National: GBR TC.YJ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.K60W
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew Undershaft
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199733
Location: City of London, London, EC3A
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Aldgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Helen Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
ST MARY AXE EC3
Church of St Andrew Undershaft
TQ 3381 SW 11/364 4.1.50.
1520 to 32, incorporating C15 tower partly rebuilt in 1830. Aisled nave and chancel
with clerestory and no structural division. Tower at south west corner. Squared
rubble, partly rendered with cement. Portland stone parapets etc. Slight projection
to chancel. Polygonal stair turret on north side. Tower rises independently of
clerestory with enriched doorway in south side flanked by buttresses and square
turret to north west. Top stage now rendered with renewed battlements and large
pinnacles. Flat, timber roofs with bosses to north and main aisle, latter with
cove. Paintings to spandrels of arcade circa 1726 (?) Marble font by Nicholas
Stone with cover. 2 sword rests; fine late C17 organ case with 2 large figures;
altar rails; pulpit; pews cut down from old ones. Doorcases to north and under
tower with segmental pediments, etc. Stained glass. Fine monuments especially
to Thomas Offley, died 1582; John Stow, died 1605, and Hugh Hammersley, died 1636.
Plain C17 brick vestry to north east with C19 addition in stone to west of it.
Listing NGR: TQ3325281173
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings