History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawkridge Barton

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chittlehampton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0129 / 51°0'46"N

Longitude: -3.9806 / 3°58'50"W

OS Eastings: 261156

OS Northings: 125588

OS Grid: SS611255

Mapcode National: GBR KV.JFDL

Mapcode Global: FRA 26KF.M1R

Entry Name: Hawkridge Barton

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443235

Location: Chittlehampton, North Devon, Devon, EX37

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Chittlehampton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chittlehampton with Umberleigh

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Umberleigh Bridge

Listing Text

CHITTLEHAMPTON
SS 62 NW

1/94 Hawkridge Barton
-

9.6.52
- II*

Barton farmhouse. Probably late C15, remodelled probably in late C16 extended in
early C17, with some C19 internal alterations. Painted rendered stone rubble and
cob, unrendered rear and gable ends. Thatch roof with plain ridge and gable ends.
Stone rubble stacks at each end, taller to left, inner room end, both with tapered
caps and drips. Tall front lateral stone rubble hall stack with tapered cap and
drip, with short front buttress added in mid C20.
Plan. 3-room and through-passage plan, with gable-ended wing to rear of hall and
dairy wing with leanto roof to front lower end.
Interesting plan development. Hall and wide through-passage to right originally
open to the roof, the passage ceiled first and apparently originally jettied into
the hall. All ground floor evidence of the jetty was removed when the hall proper
was floored over with a fine panelled ceiling. A rear stair turret was added
towards the upper end of the hall, in the angle of the rear wing which was built at
the same time and in use as a cider house within living memory, now converted into
part of dwelling. The stack at its gable end, suggests however that it originally
may have been for domestic use. Massive solid cob wall between hall and inner room
rises to apex of the roof: as the roof space over the inner room is inaccessible it
is not possible to tell whether the upper end is an addition; the plasterwork
overmantel to the inner room fireplace commemorating a marriage in 1615 indicates it
was certainly built by the early C17. There is also a massive cob wall partition
rising similarly to the apex of the roof on the lower side of the through-passage,
and a straight joint to the rear wall and the interior detail indicates the lower
end was entirely rebuilt (or possibly added?) in the early C17. A winder staircase
is housed in the front upper end corner beside the doorway through to the passage.
Dairy wing also apparently C17 extends at right angles to front of lower end. In
C19, the house was refenestrated and the majority of doors replaced. The hall
staircase was replaced with a dog-leg staircase, a new door being formed towards the
centre of the rear wall of the hall, the original turret becoming a small storage
room.
2 storeys. 3-window range. C19 fenestration complete with 2-light casements 6
panes per light to upper storey. 3-light casement to inner room, 4-light to hall,
both 8 panes per light. Late C19 4-panelled door, upper panels glazed, to front
through-passage doorway. Dairy on courtyard side has a casement of 3 leaded lights
above a small 2-light window. C17 weathered door surround to inner face of rear
wing.
Interior. Chamfered timber lintel to lower end kitchen fireplace with bread oven.
C17 ovolo-moulded doorframe with ornate carved stops to winder staircase, with
doorway at head to chamber over dairy with depressed 4-centred arched chamfered
surround. C17 straight headed doorway with chamfered surround between through-
passage and lower end. Hall has fine panelled ceiling of 6 fields with chamfered
beams with hollow step stops at each intersection. Hall fireplace rebuilt in C20,
but original lintel may survive. Inner room has fine plasterwork overmantel with
central arms of Acland impaling Tremayne, recording marriage of Baldwin Acland with
Elizabeth Tremayne in 1615. Strapwork cartouche with small heads probably of Cain
and Abel to each side flanked by foliage and figures of Adam and Eve, with the
serpent above. Single axial chamfered ceiling beam hacked to take plaster. Good
quality C19 6-panelled doors and doorcases. Rear wing has 3 chamfered cross beams
and single bressumer with hollow step stops. C17 chamfered straight-headed doorway
to one of the chambers over the rear wing and C18 raised and fielded 2-panelled door
to the other. Small 4-paned window with ovolo-moulded surround inserted in large
opening opposite the former. C17 staircase leads to attic over rear wing.
Roof: Rear wing has single C17 truss with 2 tiers of threaded purlins and ridge
purlin, straight principals and typical C17 dovetail style collar. Inner end
roofspace not accessible. Single raised cruck truss over lower end of hall with 2
tiers of threaded purlins and ridge purlin, and steeply cranked morticed and tenoned
collar. The entire roof structure over the hall including battens, rafters and
underside of thatch, is heavily smoke-blackened; the hall truss is closed on its
lower side with a clay daub and stud partition, which is heavily smoke-blackened on
the hall side only. The roof structure over the passage is less heavily smoke-
blackened; but a curious feature is a distinct break in the degree of smoke-
blackening about 1/2 metre to the lower side of the stud partition, a row of early
blacksmiths nails evenly spaced around the rafters suggesting either that the closed
partition may have been moved forward slightly to butt up against the hall truss at
a later date, or that they represent an earlier curtain arrangement for controlling
smoke permeating from the hall into the jettied chamber. The lower end has a single
C17 truss with straight heavy principals, no collar and 2 tiers of threaded purlins
and ridge purlin.
Hawkridge came to the Aclands of Acland, Landkey by the marriage of John Akelin with
Alicia, daughter and heiress of William Hawkridge of Hawkridge circa 1350. The
Aclands do not appear to have resided at Hawkridge until about 1560, whence it
remained in their occupation apparently for 4 generations.


Listing NGR: SS6115625588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.