This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4573 / 51°27'26"N
Longitude: 0.0045 / 0°0'16"E
OS Eastings: 539362
OS Northings: 175052
OS Grid: TQ393750
Mapcode National: GBR L2.ZS1
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.1M7P
Entry Name: Lee Public Library
Listing Date: 30 August 1954
Last Amended: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203387
Location: Lewisham, London, SE13
Electoral Ward/Division: Lee Green
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lee The Good Shepherd with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
OLD ROAD SE13
4424 Lee Public Library
[Formerly listed as
No 34 - The Manor
TQ 3975 15/L66 30.8.54. Public Library)]
1771-2, probably by Richard Jupp. 2 storeys and basement, 5 windows.
Slightly projecting centre 3-bay section has half-storey over.
Yellow stock brick. Stone entablature with fluted architrave,
garlands in frieze. Blocking course over. In attic storey
4 flat pilasters support cornice. Low pitched hipped slated roofs.
Ground floor cill string. Rusticated stone basement. l-storey and
basement, 2 window right wing, partly rebuilt. 2-storey and basement
left wing, blank but for one round window on lst floor and one small
door. Gauged flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in
stucco lined reveals. 7 stone steps, with side walls and wrought
iron inner rails, to tetrastyle porch with leafy capitals, garlands in
frieze and pediment over. Later inscription in tympanum: "MANOR HOUSE".
Porch now glazed. Cast iron gallery to flat roof centre.
South (garden) front. Similar style and proportions but 3 middle
windows in large round bow. Moulded stone architraves and cornice to
windows. In right wing long dog-leg stair to entrance set back under
round arch, 3-light sash window above, under plaster fanlight
tympanum. Round arched niche under round window at right.
Inside in hall screen of columns with leafy capitals. Reading room
with large South bow has ceiling and cornice in shallow, Adam style
plasterwork. Similar plaster work and screen of Ionic columns in
ante-room to East, Enriched window architraves, reveals and shutters.
Similar South room on West side. lst floor landing has arched screen
with Ionic columns; groin vaulted passage behind, with Adam style
decorative plaster work on walls. Central niche; and niche at stair
head. Enriched cornices to principal upstairs rooms. House belonged
at one time to Julius Angerstein who married the widow of its 1st
owner Thomas Lucas. In 1796 he sold it to Francis Baring, founder of
Lee Public Library Walls and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls
form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ3936275052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings