History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kingston Sorting Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston upon Thames, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4085 / 51°24'30"N

Longitude: -0.3022 / 0°18'8"W

OS Eastings: 518177

OS Northings: 169087

OS Grid: TQ181690

Mapcode National: GBR 84.0GD

Mapcode Global: VHGR8.QV2M

Entry Name: Kingston Sorting Office

Listing Date: 26 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080059

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203210

Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT1

County: London

District: Kingston upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Grove

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints, Kingston-on-Thames

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Thames

Listing Text


59-0/ 7a/10000 Kingston Sorting Office


Purpose built telephone exchange. Erected 1907 and opened in June
1908. Architect John Rutherford, an architect working in the
Ministry of Works. Arts and Crafts style, asymmetrical plan.
Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and slate
roof. Entrance front of butterfly plan has central clustered
brick and stone chimneystack and end gables with stone coping and
kneelers on pilasters. Attics have tripartite slit windows. Right
hand gable has 2 storey canted bay with pilasters separating
bays, with curved iron casements to 1st floor and mullioned and
transomed windows to ground floor. 2 storey projection in angle
of the L has 2 casements with stone surrounds and left side round
headed doorcase with hood moulding on brackets, tripartite
fanlight and double doors. To left are 2 curved casements to the
1st floor and mullioned and transomed casements to the ground
floor. Attached by brick wall is low stone wall with iron spear
railings whose principals embody elaborate insignia of Edward VII
and cast iron lamp. Left side elevation has half hipped roof with
continous 12 light dormer. 5 round headed casements to 1st floor
and left side doorcase approached up a flight of steps with iron
handrail. Tripartite casements to ground floor. Right side
elevation is blank but with large canopy to far end. Internally
there is a mosaic-tiled entrance hall, clerk's office to the
left, manager's office to the right with engineers just beyond
that. There is a large open plan "test room" with a small
"battery room" at the far end. On the 1st floor the cloakrooms,
kitchen and dining room correspond to the offices below with a
large "switch" room corresponding to the "test room". The floor
is supported on simple Doric cast iron columns. The roof is of
simple steel truss construction. Solid wood block doors
throughout and some white glazed tiles.

Listing NGR: TQ1817769087

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.