This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4973 / 51°29'50"N
Longitude: -0.1735 / 0°10'24"W
OS Eastings: 526885
OS Northings: 179176
OS Grid: TQ268791
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.7F
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.YM4J
Entry Name: Cole Wing, Victoria and Albert Museum
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 7 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203786
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW7
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Brompton & Hans Town
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity with St Paul, Onslow Sq and St Augustine, Sth Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2679 SE EXHIBITION ROAD SW7
39/4 (east side)
15.4.69 Cole Wing, Victoria and
Albert Museum (formerly
Royal College of Science)
Museum, formerly college. 1868-73. Built Lt Col H D Y Scott RE. Renaissance style.
Ornaments in Minton Majolica. Built in red brick and buff terra-cotta. Four storeys;
10 main bays. Projecting wings either end with crowning pedimented pavilions above
cornice, joined by gallery with balustraded arcade of 21 bays and supported by moulded
terra-cotta consoles. Ground floor also has arcade on much bigger scale with 7 bays.
First and second floors are plainer but the 9 square-headed windows have enriched
surrounds with much carving. This building was planned by Captain Fowke but carried
out after his death by Scott.
Listing NGR: TQ2688979177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings