This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4413 / 51°26'28"N
Longitude: -0.061 / 0°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 534856
OS Northings: 173153
OS Grid: TQ348731
Mapcode National: GBR JF.TJD
Mapcode Global: VHGRD.W1LD
Entry Name: Coombe Cliffe Conservatory
Listing Date: 30 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203472
Location: Lewisham, London, SE23
Electoral Ward/Division: Forest Hill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Dulwich St Clement with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LONDON ROAD, SE23
Conservatory. Built 1894 for Frederick Horniman. Cast-iron and glass: decorative ironwork by Macfarlane and Company of Saracen Foundry, Glasgow. Cruciform plan. Doorways set in centre of two end walls and in transept ends; decorative porch with semicircular arched doorway to south transept. Walls framed by Corinthian columns with lower band and rosette panels and foliate frieze with tendrils; fish-scale roof frame, with acroteria to corners of upper roofs and antefixae and finials to lower roofs; octagonal lantern to central crossing, surmounted by pyramidal roof and weathervane. Interior: rope-twist columns with foliate spandrels to central dome. Moved from its original site at the Horniman home, Combe Cliffe, to its present site next to the Horniman Museum in 1988. A fine example of a Victorian cast-iron conservatory.
N.B. This building was previously listed in the 29 TH list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest in the London Borough of Croydon.
Listing NGR: TQ3485673153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings