History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4425 / 51°26'33"N

Longitude: -0.0671 / 0°4'1"W

OS Eastings: 534430

OS Northings: 173273

OS Grid: TQ344732

Mapcode National: GBR HL.ZQD

Mapcode Global: VHGRD.S0DH

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471074

Location: Southwark, London, SE22

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Dulwich St Clement with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Forest Hill

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3473SW LORDSHIP LANE
636-1/70/493 (South West side)
22/02/85 Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. 1873-75 and 1885. By Charles Barry Jnr. Tower
completed 1885 when the west part of the nave was begun.
Recently restored.
MATERIALS: Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings and steeply
pitched slated roofs; lavish polychrome interior.
STYLE: Geometric Gothic.
PLAN: 6-bay nave, aisles with lean-to roofs, apsed chancel.
Tower to north east. Geometrical Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: gabled entrance in west end of north elevation.
Windows are mainly cusped lancets, in triplets to aisles,
single to apse with trefoils above, the central one larger;
pairs of leaded windows to clerestory. Large traceried west
window with stained glass, c1891. Tall buttressed tower with
slender slated broach spire has blind arcading above gabled
entrance on north face; groups of 3 tall louvred bell openings
to each face beneath spire.
INTERIOR: has marble columns to nave arcades, coloured
brickwork and terracotta diapering. Open timber roof with some
painting, especially to chancel. Choir vestry and organ
chamber (to right of chancel) now a private chapel (organ
relocated to west end). Pews recently dismantled and interior
now open-plan. Floor rebuilt in concrete with steps up from
lower nave to aisles.
FITTINGS: Victorian fittings include metal light brackets,
pulpit, font, reredos.

Listing NGR: TQ3443073273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.