This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0864 / 52°5'11"N
Longitude: -2.9388 / 2°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 335770
OS Northings: 243533
OS Grid: SO357435
Mapcode National: GBR F8.BRNG
Mapcode Global: VH77X.0TQF
Entry Name: Moccas Court
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150001
Location: Moccas, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Moccas
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Moccas
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
MOCCAS CP MOCCAS PARK
SO 34 SE
4/42 Moccas Court
Country house. 1775 - 1781 by Anthony Keck for Sir George Armyand
Cornewall, with an addition of 1792. Brick with ashlar dressings and
a stone tile roof. Rectangular plan aligned north-west/south-east.
Central entrance hall leading to elliptical plan stair hall, behind which
is the circular drawing room. To the north and music room and library, to
south dining room (now sub-divided). Entrance (north-west) front: three
storeys on a basement, plain parapet with dentilled stone cornice and
central pediment, ashlar string to ground floor. Three plus one plus
three windows, glazing bar sashes under segmental heads. Central window
is Venetian under a semi-circular brick head, Ionic pilasters flanking
central window. Ground floor windows of larger proportions. Entrance in
a single storey semi-circular plan porch (added 1792) with balustrade to
parapet. Entrance has a moulded ashlar architrave, overlight and panelled
door. Six-pane sashes to second floor. Rear (north-east) front of three
storeys on basement with central segmental plan bow. One plus three plus
one windows, all glazing bar sashes. The two side elevations each have
five windows. Interior: steps within porch rise to principal floor, the
entrance hall having a dentilled frieze. Door to far end is flanked by
pilasters and has fanlight above. This leads to the staircase, which is
a single stone flight cantilevered out from wall rising to the first floor.
The dome above has a central light surrounded by plaster decoration by
Robert Adam. Music room to north of hall has a gilded frieze of musical
instruments, echoed on the marble chimney piece. Library retains two book-
cases (five removed in 1972). Elaborate frieze and a chimney piece of red
scagliola. Circular drawing room decorated after a scheme of Robert Adam
dated 1781. Ceiling of plasterwork, frieze and chimney piece executed to
his designs with honeysuckle sprigs. Wall panels are Parisian wall paper
bought in 1798. The house stands in grounds landscaped after a plan by
Capability Brown. (Thompson, N: "Moccas Court, Herefordshire", pts I & II,
CL, Vol 160, pp 1474 - 1477 and 1554 - 1557, 18.11. & 25.11.76).
Listing NGR: SO3577043533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings