This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1392 / 52°8'21"N
Longitude: -2.6389 / 2°38'20"W
OS Eastings: 356370
OS Northings: 249182
OS Grid: SO563491
Mapcode National: GBR FP.7823
Mapcode Global: VH85B.6HSF
Entry Name: Halfway House
Listing Date: 14 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149611
Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1
Civil Parish: Bodenham
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bodenham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BODENHAM CP WHITECHURCH MAUND
SO 54 NE
8/48 Halfway House
House. Probably late C16, extended mid-C17, restored late C20. Timber-
framed with rendered infill on sandstone rubble base and thatched roof.
Original part of two framed bays aligned north-west/south-east with timber-
framed lean-to to rear of north-western bay. A byre of two framed bays
and lower in height was added to the south-eastern end (now part of the
house) and a single-bay cross-wing at the north-western end, probably both
in the mid-C17. There are two large external rubble chimneys, with tiled
offsets and brick stacks which adjoin in the rear angle between the cross-
wing and the main range. Single storey and attic with dormers. Framing:
main range of three rows of panels from sill to wall-plate, cross-wing of
four rows of panels from sill to wall-plate. The main range has a collar
and tie-beam truss with two struts to the collar and a V-strut in the apex
at the south-east gable end. The cross-wing has an interrupted collar and
tie-beam truss with a V-strut in the apex at the south-west gable end.
South-west front elevation: windows are all C20 single-light casements.
The main range has five, square ground floor windows (with two pairs set
beneath continuous plank weatherings) and an eyebrow dormer with two further
pairs of square windows. Main entrance to left has a glazed C20 door.
The cross-wing has three, ground floor rectangular windows beneath a continuous
plank weathering and an attic light. Interior: the main ceiling beams are all
stop-chamfered. The fireplace in the main range has been blocked but the
timber lintel survives and is inscribed with the date "1648" - presumably
the date of the C17 alterations. (RCHM Herefs II, p 17, item 51).
Listing NGR: SO5637049182
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings