This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5112 / 53°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.5244 / 0°31'27"W
OS Eastings: 497951
OS Northings: 402620
OS Grid: SE979026
Mapcode National: GBR SWSV.82
Mapcode Global: WHGGT.X0GL
Entry Name: Church of St Hybald
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166011
Location: Hibaldstow, North Lincolnshire, DN20
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Hibaldstow
Built-Up Area: Hibaldstow
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Hibaldstow St Hybald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 9602-9702 HIBALDSTOW CHURCH STREET
20/51 Church of St Hybald
Parish church. Partly-restored C13 tower arch and chancel south window.
C14-C15 font. Chancel of 1865-6 by Ewan Christian; nave, north aisle and
vestry of 1875 by James Fowler of Louth; tower of 1958-60 by Lawrence Bond.
Nave, aisle, porch and chancel of coursed limestone rubble with limestone
ashlar dressings; tower of concrete blocks with ashlar dressings. Plain
tiles to tower roof, slate roofs to remainder. Nave and chancel in C13
style; tower in Gothic Revival style. West tower, 4-bay nave with north
aisle, south porch and 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side.
3-stage tower with pyramidal roof. Nave and north aisle: plinth, buttresses
between bays; single and twin lancets with hood-moulds, sill string course.
Chancel: quoins, buttress to south; pointed chamfered south door with hood-
mould, tall C13 lancet to left, pair C19 lancets to right; stepped east
lancets. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch on octagonal
responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, most of north respond and
part of south restored. C19 pointed double-chamfered arcade on cylindrical
piers with moulded capitals and bases, corbelled responds; ornate pointed
chancel arch with fillet mouldings on corbelled wall shafts with dogtooth
moulding. Fine Cl4-C15 carved Perpendicular font with octagonal bowl on C19
pedestal and base, the bowl decorated with foliate cresting to the side
panels, and a band of fleurons and series of rosettes, faces and an angel on
the underside. N Pevsner and J Harris The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p 273.
Listing NGR: SE9795102620
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings