History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hibaldstow Mill and Retaining Walls to Mill Pond and Wheel Race

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hibaldstow, North Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5124 / 53°30'44"N

Longitude: -0.5207 / 0°31'14"W

OS Eastings: 498191

OS Northings: 402765

OS Grid: SE981027

Mapcode National: GBR SWTT.1M

Mapcode Global: WHGGM.ZZ66

Plus Code: 9C5XGF6H+XP

Entry Name: Hibaldstow Mill and Retaining Walls to Mill Pond and Wheel Race

Listing Date: 6 January 1987

Last Amended: 19 December 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083709

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166016

Location: Hibaldstow, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Hibaldstow

Built-Up Area: Hibaldstow

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hibaldstow St Hybald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Mill building

Find accommodation in


The following item shall be added:

(north side, off)

10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and
retaining walls to mill-
pond and wheel-race
The grade shall be upgraded to grade II*


(north side)
10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and
retaining walls to mill-
pond and wheel-race


Combined windmill/watermill and dwelling. 1802 by James Middleton of
Hibaldstow, millwright. Top storey added to tower in 1837 for James Tenney,
miller. Engine-house to north of 1912; C20 patching and repairs. Hammer-
dressed limestone and coursed rubble with minor later brick patching and
repairs to openings, rendering to south face of roundhouse, and tarring to
lower courses of tower. Red brick to top storey of tower. York stone roof
to roundhouse, concreted over in C20. Pantile roof to wheel-house. Brick
retaining walls to mill-pond, limestone rubble and brick retaining walls to
wheel-race. Plan: roundhouse approximately 12 metres diameter with opposed
east and west entrances and flattened south face for water-wheel with gabled
2-room wheel-house adjoining. Interior of roundhouse divided radially by
8 walls, forming deep alcoves or rooms, and leaving a central circular space
approximately 5.5 metres diameter. The radial walls, linked by round-arched
vaults at second-storey level, support the roof and tapering round-tower
above, approximately 7 metres diameter at base. 2-storey roundhouse
supporting central 7-storey tower approximately 19 metres high, the
roundhouse roof forming a balcony at second floor level; single-storey
wheel-house with 2 openings. Main entrance to east. 2 steps made from re-
used blue Cologne millstone, forming a small semi-circular loading platform.
Recessed 2-fold board door with cat-hole beneath segmental arch. Single
windows boarded-up to either side, that to right beneath a segmental arch,
that to left with brick surround and timber lintel; other windows and west
door obscured by engine-house and C20 sheds. Second floor: board door to
south-east in segmental-headed brick surround. 7 segmental-headed windows,
2 with brick-repaired arches: 5 glazed, 1 with board shutters, 1 boarded-up.
Stepped eaves with projecting flagstone roof. Wrought-iron balcony railings
with plain posts and single top-rail. Tower: third floor has 2-fold board
door to east with strap hinges beneath timber lintel, part-glazed 2-fold
door to west beneath segmental arch, 3 segmental-arched windows, 2 with
board shutters. 4 windows to third floor; 2 windows to fourth floor, 1 with
board shutters; 3 windows to fifth floor, 2 boarded-up. Top stage has
single boarded window and corbelled-out upper section with cogged brick
band. Windows have double-doored shutters or later hinged casements with
glazing bars, many with glass missing at time of resurvey. Wheel-house,
east side, has opening to brick and stone-lined mill-race, now floored-over,
and pair of board doors to left beneath lintel at eaves level. Wheel-house
derelict, with gable-end partly-collapsed at time of resurvey. Partly-
infilled mill-pond to west has brick-coped retaining walls flanking entrance
to wheel-race. Interior. Floors and main structural framework intact,
incorporates some timberwork from former post-mills. Winding staircase with
moulded handrail to roundhouse. Fittings include gears and shaft for
machine drive on ground floor, pair of stones on first floor (originally
under-driven by waterwheel); pair of stones to second floor (machine
driven); spur-wheel, drive shafts and frames for 2 sets of stones on third
floor (stones removed) originally powered from wind-sails. 1 ground-floor
alcove and another directly above on first floor contain fireplaces (the
latter with a C19 cast-iron duck's nest grate). The mill was used as a
dwelling for miller and family until the 1880s. The undershot water-wheel
was removed in 1912, the 4 sails in 1913, and the ogee cap in 1924. The
mill-pond was filled-in in 1940s. The mill, with its accompanying range of
contemporary outbuildings (qv) is one of very few examples of combined wind
and water-mills in Britain. The highly-accomplished design is particularly
notable, and probably unique. Disused and in disrepair at time of resurvey.
G Mounsey and J A Sass, "Reesons Mill, Hibaldstow" Lincolnshire Industrial
Archaeolgy, 1973, vol 8, No 2, pp 21-8.

Listing NGR: SE9819102765

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.