This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6012 / 53°36'4"N
Longitude: -2.1779 / 2°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 388325
OS Northings: 411642
OS Grid: SD883116
Mapcode National: GBR FV7S.9S
Mapcode Global: WHB8X.JR43
Entry Name: Church of Saint Aidan
Listing Date: 12 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358904
Location: Rochdale, OL11
Electoral Ward/Division: Castleton
Built-Up Area: Rochdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Sudden St Aidan and All Souls Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
335/6/75 MANCHESTER ROAD
12-FEB-1985 CHURCH OF SAINT AIDAN
Church. 1913-5. By Temple Moore. Random rubble with clay tile and slate roofs. Nave and north aisle under one roof; south aisle roofed separatedly with a double pitch; central west tower, higher chancel with chapels to north and south with clerestory and triforium.
South elevation: 4-bay aisle has rough quoins, coped eaves parapet, continuous sill moulding and alternating 1 and 2-light lancet window openings. Lean-to porch to west with pointed arch. The 2-bay chapel which is otherwise continuous is separated by a projecting square castellated stair turret with external semi-octagonal stone pulpit on heavy bracket, and small stair lights. Priests door to chapel. The tower has a stair turret in the form of a heavy buttress, a west doorway with three lancet openings above, 2-light openings with plate tracery and hoodmoulds to the bell stage and bold castellations. The north aisle roof sweeps down to meet C20 school buildings; the chancel clerestory has paired lancets; the east window has 3 lancets under a semi-circular hoodmould which continues over 2 small side lancets; the gable is flanked by heavy weathered buttresses.
INTERIOR: unmoulded nave arches are supported on heavy square piers those which carry the tower being massive. The chancel triforium has pointed arches to the north and round arches to the south. East window and reredos both designed by Temple Moore. This is a significant architectural creation by one of the leading architects of the period.
Brandwood GK, Temple Moore, 1997, pp.103-4.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings