This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1038 / 51°6'13"N
Longitude: 0.4012 / 0°24'4"E
OS Eastings: 568207
OS Northings: 136580
OS Grid: TQ682365
Mapcode National: GBR NRP.L8H
Mapcode Global: VHJN3.WJZ4
Plus Code: 9F324C32+GF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169972
Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
Civil Parish: Lamberhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
LAMBERHURST CHURCH ROAD
TQ 63 NE
3/135 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Chancel C12, extended C13, nave C14 and C15 tower, restored c.1870 by
Ewan Christian (with Edward Hussey's interest if not involvenent). Rubble sandstone
and plain tiled roofs. Chancel and nave each with south aisle, and south western
tower and south porch. Each section of the church separately roofed. Nave with
offset corner buttresses and 2 light and quatrefoil C14 fenestration throughout,
except west window, a 5 light Perpendicular design. Two stage tower with offset
corner buttresses, battlements and recessed shingled spire and south western stair
turret. South porch with angle buttresses and restored square headed door surround
with quatrefoil spandrel enrichment and roll moulded doorway, and anchor ties
Crown post roof inside porch. Chancel and chapel fenestrated as nave except for
eastern lancet in north wall and reticulated chapel east window and Perpendicular
style chancel east window. Interior: four bay C14 nave arcade with double chamfered
arches on octagonal piers and similar tower arch and chancel and chapel arches.
Crown post roofs. Later C14 three bay chancel arcade, the eastern arch set lower,
and remains of an eastern C13 arch, much lower than the arcade, and part of
evidence gathered at restoration of 1870s that the chancel extended further east
and downslope before C14. Fittings: some C14 encaustic tiles in south chapel.
Piscina and sedilia incorporated into chancel arcade. Three tier pulpit, dated 1630,
with tester and with unusually rich arcaded enrichment, the lower tiers made up C19
from old and reproduction panelling. Royal Arms of Queen Anne over south door,
originally the top of an C18 reredos, enriched with urns and putti in clouds. Series
of wall monuments, the most notable a black and white aedicule to Richard Thomas
d.1657, and the series of marble plaques to the Husseys in the south (Scotney)
chapel, including those of Edward Hussey, d.1894 and the late Christopher Hussey,
d.1970. See B.O.E. Kent, 1, 364; also V. Morland, The Church in Lamberhurst.
Listing NGR: TQ6781936707
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings