This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4131 / 51°24'47"N
Longitude: 0.2321 / 0°13'55"E
OS Eastings: 555322
OS Northings: 170598
OS Grid: TQ553705
Mapcode National: GBR VK.P69
Mapcode Global: VHHP0.ZR22
Plus Code: 9F32C67J+7R
Entry Name: Church of St John church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Last Amended: 17 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172705
Location: Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley, Dartford, Kent, DA4
Civil Parish: Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley
Built-Up Area: South Darenth
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Sutton At Hone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5274 SUTTON-AT-HONE CHURCH ROAD
Church of St John the
(formerly listed as
Church of St John)
TQ 57 SE 4/70 1.6.67
Early C14 and C19. Built of flint with stone dressings. Tiled roof. Early C14
nave, chancel, south aisle with deep south porch which is C19 and Perpendicular
west tower with diagonal buttresses, crenellations and a circular south-east turret.
Decorated east window. C14 chancel arch and early C14 piscina. Early C17 pulpit.
Ewan Christian rebuilt the Arcade in 1862. Large standing monument to Sir Thomas
Smith (died 1625) the navigator who lived in Brook Place nearby and gave his name
to Smith's Sound. Also 2 tablets to Abraham Hill (died 1721) and Francisca Hill
(died 1736) both probably by Robert Taylor.
Listing NGR: TQ5554070432
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings