This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1852 / 51°11'6"N
Longitude: 0.1418 / 0°8'30"E
OS Eastings: 549783
OS Northings: 145062
OS Grid: TQ497450
Mapcode National: GBR LMQ.LP3
Mapcode Global: VHHQ4.DGTS
Entry Name: Pumphouse Gazebo Orangery and Garden Wall Chiddingstone Castle
Listing Date: 16 January 1975
Last Amended: 3 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357052
Location: Chiddingstone, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Civil Parish: Chiddingstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chiddingstone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 4945 CHIDDINGSTONE CHIDDINGSTONE CORNER
6/239 Pumphouse, gazebo, orangery
and garden wall, Chiddingstone Castle
GV II* (star)
Former pump house, gazebo and orangery linked by garden wall. Circa 1797, part of the alterations to Chiddingstone Castle carried out by William Atkinson and originally forming an impressive skyline when the south front of Chiddingstone Castle was the main entrance front. Coursed ashlar sandstone wall with rear face of red brick with grey headers, extending from south west comer of Chiddingstone Castle curved in a south westerly direction for about 80 metres and then in an easterly direction for about 30 metres. About 12 feet in height with stone coping, a series of stone buttresses, some blank loop lights and 2 arched entrances into kitchen garden. At the north east comer is an octagonal sandstone pump-house, crenellated with pseudo-machicolations. Loop lights to first floor and pointed arched fixed casements to ground floor. Arched doorcase with C2o plank door. Plinth. Interior contains wooden hoist mechanism for well and four centred arched fireplace. At the south east angle of the wall is the gazebo, built of sandstone ashlar. One storey ;one window. Square structure with crenellated parapet and moulded eaves cornice. Imitation loop lights above arched sash windows on two sides. East side has arched plank doorcase. Interior has dado rail and wooden fireplace With cast iron firegrate. At the south west comer is the former orangery. This is built of sandstone ashlar, rectangular but the front forming a splay. Front has 5 pointed arches, moulded cornice and 2 steps. The roof and windows were removed in the C2o.
Listing NGR: TQ4978345062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings