History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall and Former Stable to West of Chiddingstone Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Chiddingstone, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1859 / 51°11'9"N

Longitude: 0.1421 / 0°8'31"E

OS Eastings: 549798

OS Northings: 145141

OS Grid: TQ497451

Mapcode National: GBR LMQ.LR1

Mapcode Global: VHHQ4.DGY8

Plus Code: 9F3254PR+9R

Entry Name: Wall and Former Stable to West of Chiddingstone Castle

Listing Date: 16 January 1975

Last Amended: 3 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085888

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357050

Location: Chiddingstone Castle, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Chiddingstone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Chiddingstone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Tagged with: Wall

Find accommodation in
Penshurst

Description


TQ 4945 CHIDDINGSTONE CHIDDINGSTONE CORNER


6/235 Wall and former stable to
west of Chiddingstone Castle

16.1.75 II

Former stable and wall, later converted into domestic accommodation, now conference centre. Early C18 stable and late C 18 wall, both altered in C 19. Stable of red brick with grey headers, the lower part of the main front of Roman cement with incised lines, sandstone dressings and sandstone rear wall. Hipped tiled roof and 2 red brick chimneys to rear. Main east front of2 storeys; 3 bays. Central pediment with blocked circular opening. Brick dentil cornice. Ashlar pilasters to ends and centrepiece which holds elliptical arch with triple keystone. Front has 1;3 inserted mid C19 casement windows with hood mouldings and central mid C19 doorcase with hood moulding and rectangular fanlight. North front has 2 Diocletian windows to first floor and 2 early C20 windows to ground floor. Rear elevation of ashlar with several window openings including sash. One storey one bay mid C19 tack room extension to south, ashlar to north and red brick with grey headers to other sides. Interior retains two C19 wood and iron stall partitions and iron hayrack, 6 panelled door, staggered purlin roof with lath and plaster partition and kingpost roof over tackroom. Attached to east is a section of late C 18 ashlar wall linking the early C 18 stables to Chiddingstone Castle. This was heightened in the mid C19 and built out to south to fonn Butler's and Housekeeper's pantries. One storey ashlar with four casement windows with hood mouldings and C20 casements.

Listing NGR: TQ4979845141

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.