This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2699 / 51°16'11"N
Longitude: 0.5221 / 0°31'19"E
OS Eastings: 576033
OS Northings: 155321
OS Grid: TQ760553
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.6TY
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.0BCW
Entry Name: The Master's Tower
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173443
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017
TQ 7655 W
The Master's Tower
(Formerly listed as The Master's Tower, MILL STREET)
1396-1398. This was originally the main entrance gateway to the College from the river. Two storeys Kentish ragstone. Pyramidal tiled roof. Pointed archway on the ground floor. Square-headed window on the first floor containing two cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullion and transom. Small projection on the north side with splayed end, possibly containing the staircase. This front has a single window of one cinquefoil-headed light on the first floor and a gable fronted with weatherboarding, full of pigeon holes.
Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7603355321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings