This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2016 / 54°12'5"N
Longitude: -2.8285 / 2°49'42"W
OS Eastings: 346050
OS Northings: 478748
OS Grid: SD460787
Mapcode National: GBR 8MPV.FL
Mapcode Global: WH83F.JN99
Entry Name: Saltcotes Farm
Listing Date: 20 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76545
Location: Arnside, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA5
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Arnside
Built-Up Area: Arnside
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Arnside St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 47 NE ARNSIDE STATION ROAD
(off West side)
7/2 Saltcotes Farm
Farmhouse. Initials and date S 1679 on door lintel said to be for Thomas
and Mary R Saul. Roof raised, early C19 extensions to rear and right, later
alterations. Roughcast render over rubble; stone dressings; graduated
greenslate roof with stone ridge. 3 storeys with 2-storey extension set back to
right. 3 windows. 2-storey central gabled stone porch with 6-panelled early
C19 door, top panels glazed, in cavetto-moulded stone surround. Lintel has
central initialled panel with moulded base flanked by ogee-headed identations
bearing date. 4-light window to left, one 5-light window and fire window to
right; first-floor string continuous with porch; one 4-light window with
hoodmould and labels to each side of porch on first floor; 3 3-light windows
above. All windows with chamfered stone surrounds and mullions; some replaced.
2 end-chimneys on main house, one on extension to right. Interior much altered
but retains 2 C17 carved oak fireplace surrounds: one with initials and date
RIBI decorated with guilloche moulding, leaf and scroll pattern, rams' heads and
stars of David; the other dated 1668 with motif of interlaced arcading has been
repositioned and extended. Extension to rear has good early C19 staircase,
panelled doors and architraves with paterae.
(Appears not to have been recorded by RCHM).
Listing NGR: SD4605078748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.