History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ash Meadow

A Grade II Listed Building in Arnside, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1999 / 54°11'59"N

Longitude: -2.8397 / 2°50'22"W

OS Eastings: 345320

OS Northings: 478563

OS Grid: SD453785

Mapcode National: GBR 8MMW.06

Mapcode Global: WH83F.CP0N

Plus Code: 9C6V55X6+X4

Entry Name: Ash Meadow

Listing Date: 2 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76634

Location: Arnside, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA5

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Arnside

Built-Up Area: Arnside

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Arnside St James

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Arnside

Description

The following item shall be added:

SD 47 NE ARNSIDE THE PROMENADE
(south west side)

454-0/7/1000 Ash Meadow

II

House, recently a school but now unoccupied. c.1815-20, with some
earlier fabric; altered. Painted stucco and roughcast render,
probably on limestone rubble, with Welsh slate roofs. Irregular
plan formed by 3 parallel ranges: a rectangular double-depth main
range aligned approximately east-west, built in front of the
older portion and linked to it by a shorter range and glazed
porch. Two storeys with cellars to the main range, and a long
symmetrical 3-window north front with a plinth, a verandah
carried round both sides, and wooden modillioned eaves; unhorned
sashed windows on both floors, all with exposed boxes, those at
ground floor without glazing bars and those above 12-paned;
slated verandah canopy carried on slender cast iron columns each
with a simple ladder like trellis in front of it ( forming 7 bays
to the front, 7 to the left and 6 to the right ). Four
symmetrically disposed low lateral chimney stacks with cornices.
The left side, which is the entrance front, has a central re-
entrant bridged by a glazed roof, with a glazed screen and
doorway to the porch thus formed, and an inner doorway with a
moulded architrave, cornice and consoles and door with 6 glazed
panels; the flanking gables of the front and rear ranges have
windows mostly like those at the front, but including a French
window to the main range; and projected from the rear corner to
the rear range is an outbuilding with mono-pitched roof. The
right-hand return wall has 3 gables 2:1:1 windows, the 1st and
3rd at ground floor being French windows with horizontal glazing
bars and all the others unhorned 12-pane sashes. All windows on
both floors of the front range have internal shutters. The rear
range, which may be of earlier C18 origin, has a large ridge
chimney stack offset left of centre. INTERIOR: rear range
altered, but front range retains many early C19 features
including central entrance hall containing open-well staircase
with delicate curvilinear cast-iron balusters and ramped mahogany
handrail wreathed at the foot, illuminated by oval skylight with
stained glass margin panes; original moulded plaster cornices in
3 front rooms, all different; and built-in office furnishings in
the centre of these rooms, including a broken-pedimented
bookcase, disguised iron cupboards and safes flanking the
doorway, and a semi-circular arched cast iron fireplace with
panelled surround. HISTORY: occupied by a series of wealthy land
owners until c1918, subsequently used as a school and recently
as Lakeland Training Centre.


Listing NGR: SD4532078563

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.