This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3566 / 54°21'23"N
Longitude: -2.722 / 2°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 353172
OS Northings: 495914
OS Grid: SD531959
Mapcode National: GBR 9LF2.H1
Mapcode Global: WH82Q.5R1J
Entry Name: Skelsmergh Hall
Listing Date: 21 November 1952
Last Amended: 21 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75745
Location: Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Skelsmergh St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 59 NW SKELSMERGH A6
6/165 Skelsmergh Hall
House, now 2 houses and outbuilding. Pele tower probably C15, south wing of
late C16 with wing to east of early C17 with later extension. Stone rubble with
some ashlar dressings, east extension roughcast, slate roofs. Tower, now
outbuilding, is of 3 storeys externally, but 2nd floor missing internally.
Gabled to east and west. West face has entrance and left jambs to windows to
1st and 2nd floors, but rest of windows have disappeared in rebuilding of part
of wall and gable. South face has light in chamfered reveals to 1st and 2nd
floors. North face has large Cl9 or C20 open-fronted lean-to shed; 2 lights in
chamfered reveals to 2nd floor. East face has steps to 1st floor entrance,
which has head, possibly originally window, with remains of cusping and label
mould, small stair light to left. West return of south wing of 2 storeys and
2 bays; dripcourse to ground floor. Double-chamfered-mullioned windows with
transoms, labels and leaded glazing, of 3 lights to ground floor, of 2 and
3 lights to 1st floor. Re-entrant C19 lean-to porch has gablett to front, small
window and embattled lintel said to be taken from a fireplace and originally
dated 1629. C20 entrance to return. South elevation has gable end of south
wing and 3-bay east wing, with 2-bay extension to right. 1st bay has 3-light
double-chamfered-mullioned window to ground floor, with label mould, leaded
glazing and segmental relieving arch. 1st bay has similar windows with
transoms, no relieving arches, of 3 lights to ground floor, 4 lights to 1st
floor. Other bays have casement windows; 3rd bay has inserted entrance.
Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. North elevation has 1st bay breaking
forward; 1st 2 bays have casements, 4th bay projects under gable; gabled
single-storey outshut to 3rd bay; lean-to outshut to 5th bay. Small casement
window to ground floor of 4th bay, which has 2 stair windows of 2 lights above,
the lower double-chamfered, with label, the upper single-chamfered with leaded
glazing. 3rd bay has 3-light segmental-headed leaded window to 1st floor; 2nd
floor window has small-paned fixed glazing with opening light. Entrance to 3rd
bay in lean-to porch. Interior: tower has barrel-vaulted ground floor.
Remains of spiral stair to south-east angle and garderobe to north-west angle.
One remaining kingpost truss with cambered tie beam, principals curved to
underside, raking struts, signs of former walk behind parapet. Some chamfered
beams; spice cupboard; said to have panelling to 1st floor; 6- and 8-panel
doors. Window mullions ovolo-moulded inside. See R.C.H.M. Inventory:
Listing NGR: SD5317295914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings