History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cowmire Hall and Wall Running Approximately 20 Metres to East, with Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crosthwaite and Lyth, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2908 / 54°17'26"N

Longitude: -2.881 / 2°52'51"W

OS Eastings: 342751

OS Northings: 488713

OS Grid: SD427887

Mapcode National: GBR 8LBT.2M

Mapcode Global: WH830.QD9X

Entry Name: Cowmire Hall and Wall Running Approximately 20 Metres to East, with Gate Piers

Listing Date: 21 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77089

Location: Crosthwaite and Lyth, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Crosthwaite St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bowland Bridge

Listing Text

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH
SD 48 NW
Cowmire Hall and wall
3/1
running approx. 20m
21.11.52 to east, with gate
piers
II*
G.V.

House. Late C16 tower house, with C17 addition. Stone rubble, mostly
roughcast, slate roofs. East facade of 3 storeys and 6 bays. Central entrance
plan. Dripcourses. Windows have wooden chamfered cross-mullion windows, with
iron opening lights, those to ground floor with intermediate bars; paired
windows to 5th and 6th bays. Entrance has limestone quoins, round hood and
6-fielded-panel door with overlight. Gable-end stacks with rounded shafts.
South return has C20 casements. North return has window in former entrance and
2nd floor casements; 3 dripcourses. West gabled wing, the tower, has to south a
4-light mullioned window with round-headed lights, iron grille and label mound,
similar 3-light window to 2nd floor; north elevation of exposed stone has
similar windows with flat relieving arches and wooden cross-mullion windows to
left; later lean-to and flat-roofed porch. Projecting gable-end stack and
cross-axial stack with rounded shafts, lean-to garderobe projection. To south
of west wing a glazed door and cross-mullion window to rear of later wing.
Interior has re-used beams to ground floor. Shaped brackets for hanging
shelves. Former kitchen fireplace has 4 stone posts with infill and cupboard
with wide-boarded door to right; spice cupboard above entrance passage to left.
Stone fireplace has vine trail and roundel with Fleming arms, fire back has lion
passant guardant roses and thistles dated 1649. C17 6-panel door with top
relief frieze. Beam shows signs of original partition. Tower has 2 barrel
vaulted chambers. End room has 6-bolection-panel door and bolection-moulded
fireplace. Stair has square newels with ball finials and pendants, turned
balusters and moulded handrail. 1st floor has 2 bolection-panel doors, some
with dado rails. Tower has hollow and chamfered beams and run out stops,
garderobe has wood seat. 2nd floor has 2-panel doors, stud and plaster
partitions. Roof has collar and tie trusses. Wall extends east from north-east
angle of house, stone rubble, ashlar gate piers towards eastern end have
cornices and ball finials.


Listing NGR: SD4275188713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.