History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Range to South Side of Boarbank Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Lower Allithwaite, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1825 / 54°10'57"N

Longitude: -2.9514 / 2°57'4"W

OS Eastings: 338006

OS Northings: 476725

OS Grid: SD380767

Mapcode National: GBR 7NT2.TF

Mapcode Global: WH83K.M4SF

Entry Name: Stable Range to South Side of Boarbank Farm

Listing Date: 15 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76950

Location: Lower Allithwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Allithwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Allithwaite St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Cartmel

Listing Text

LOWER ALLITHWAITE BOARBANK LANE
SD 37 NE
(North side)
Allithwaite
5/38 Stable range to south
side of Boarbank Farm
II
Stable range. Dated 1878. Rock-faced limestone with rock-faced sandstone
dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays; 2 bays to each end project under
gable; central bay projects as clock tower. Quoins. Ground floor windows have
rusticated jambs and square ventilation grilles above; small-paned iron
glazing. 3 windows to each end and paired window to 3rd bay; 5th bay has later
lean-to garage. 1st floor has round-headed windows with rusticated jambs and
small-paned fixed iron glazing to each end, with keyed in glazed pitching holes
to gables and 3rd and 5th bays. Tower has segmental-headed entrance to
throughway with iron gates and lateral buttresses. 1st floor segmental-headed
loading door has key and hood band continued as impost band. Top stage has
segmental-headed datestone; each face has clock face on raised panel with shaped
base, and gable, 2 with remaining anthemions. Pavilion roof has open timber
cupola with lead-clad domical vault and weather vane. Rear similar, but windows
etc lack rusticated jambs. 2 wings have stable doors with over lights and
ventilation grilles, similar windows with iron glazing, and segmental-headed
loading doors. Re-entrant flying stair with iron handrail leads to granary
door. Centre has windows as above; one casement window inserted, and lateral
stack. Left return has 2 windows, entrance and remains of later lean-to
addition. Right return has low wing now a house and so altered as to be of no
special interest. The building is a prominent landmark in the area; probably
built for Boarbank Hall.


Listing NGR: SD3800676725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.