History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1831 / 54°10'58"N

Longitude: -2.9429 / 2°56'34"W

OS Eastings: 338558

OS Northings: 476774

OS Grid: SD385767

Mapcode National: GBR 7NW2.N7

Mapcode Global: WH83K.R4S1

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76979

Location: Lower Allithwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Allithwaite

Built-Up Area: Grange-over-Sands

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Allithwaite St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Grange

Listing Text

LOWER ALLITHWAITE CHURCH ROAD
SD 37 NE
(West side)
Allithwaite
5/65 Church of St Mary
25.3.70
G.V. II
Church. 1865. By E.G. Paley. Rock-faced limestone with sandstone ashlar
dressings and slate roofs. Nave, gabled south aisle, chancel and north vestry
and organ loft. Sill courses, coped gables and diagonal buttresses. South
aisle of 5 bays has 2 weathered buttresses and 2-light single-chamfered-
mullioned plate tracery windows with hoodmoulds and decorative stops. Gabled
porch has arch with corbelled shafts and gable cross; return quatrefoils. West
and east ends have similar windows. Nave has west end breaking forward with
diagonal buttresses; 2 lancets with sexfoil above are flanked by large
buttresses supporting bell turret on segmental pointed arch, with weathered
sides and top octagonal turret with quatrefoil openings, short spire with
lucarnes and cross. North side has no sill course and no hoodmoulds to
windows. 2-bay chancel has 3-light double-chamfered plate tracery east window
and gable cross, cross also to nave gable. South side has 2-light windows as
aisle; north side has similar 2-light window, no sill course. Vestry and organ
loft of 2 gabled bays has west and east entrances and single-chamfered-mullioned
straight-headed windows. Interior: 5-bay arcade has round piers and continuous
hoodmould with head stops. Roof has arch braced collars and king posts. Plain
square font on squat octagonal shaft with large capital. Chancel arch on paired
short corbelled shafts. Chancel roof has paired arch braces to rafters. Pulpit
boldly carved, with corbelled triangular arches. Late Cl9 stalls, reredos and
altar rail probably by Paley and Austin, tracery panels and turned balusters;
similar organ case. Sedilia and cupboard recess with tracery heads. Aisle has
altar with rail similar to that in chancel.


Listing NGR: SD3855876774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.