This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9193 / 54°55'9"N
Longitude: -2.7859 / 2°47'9"W
OS Eastings: 349720
OS Northings: 558571
OS Grid: NY497585
Mapcode National: GBR 8CZK.NC
Mapcode Global: WH7ZZ.5MM4
Entry Name: Edmond Castle
Listing Date: 28 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78049
Location: Hayton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Hayton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Hayton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 45 NE HAYTON
4/58 Edmond Castle
Community Home formerly house. Late C18 house, altered and extended by Sir
Robert Smirke 1824-27, for Thomas Henry Graham, with further extensions 1844-46
by Sydney Smirke for the same owner; C20 alterations and additions by the Home
Office and Cumbria County Council. Calciferous sandstone ashlar, green slate
roofs, ashlar chimney stacks; extensions of similar stone. Roughly T-shaped.
Entrance front has original house right, 2 storeys, 5 bays, with single storey
C20 brick wing at right angles (not included in listing). Faced with ashlar
1824-27; sash windows with glazing bars have continuous drip mould and 2 gabled
dormers. Rear wall of English garden wall bond brickwork, has late C18 round-
headed window with intersecting glazing bars. Central 2 bays left have similar
windows with shaped parapet and carved arms of the Grahams. Large 2-storey, 3-
bay extension left is of 1824-27. Central recessed bay has prostyle porch of
1846; octagonal angle columns, pointed arches, decorated frieze and battlemented
parapet. Large flanking triple sash windows with chamfered mullions and glazing
bars; 2-light mullioned sash windows with glazing bars above. Shaped false
gable dormers to each face. Garden front and rear have canted bay windows, with
decorated friezes and battlemented parapets. Chapel extension of 1844 at right
angles to rear, has mullioned windows, with 2-storey canted bay window, all with
pointed arches. C20 brick extension to garden front (not included in listing).
3-storey octagonal angle tower of 1846, has lancet windows and large pointed
filled bell openings; leaded cupola. Square 3-storey turret of 1845, to rear of
house, adjoins chapel; pyramidal leaded roof with lucarnes. Courtyard buildings
adjoin single storey outbuilding, extending from end wall of chapel. Interior
of house retains many original features; panelled doors, moulded plaster
ceilings, stone fireplaces behind later panelling and library bookcases.
Approximately 40 drawings by both architects dated between 1824 and 1846, of the
house and individual details of the exterior and interior, are in Carlisle
Record Office, (DX/983). Graham family left 1937 andhouse became Approved School
1942. Listing does not include C20 brick extensions.
Listing NGR: NY4972058571
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings